Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you cut & carry swatches for fabric matching??? >

How do you cut & carry swatches for fabric matching???

How do you cut & carry swatches for fabric matching???

Old 10-24-2011, 05:28 AM

I cut a 2-3 inch cut and staple it to a 3 x 5 card and stick it in my purse and then I don't loose the cut in the bottom of my purse. Hope this helps.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:51 AM

I cut 4 inch squares, then pen them all together at one end with a safety pin. That way I can just flip them when buying material.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:59 AM

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You DON'T buy all of the matching fabrics when you go the first time???????????????????????????

Holy moly! I buy enough to do a lap quilt, all of the matching fabric I like so I have a great stash. All I have to do is get off this computer, stop reading all of the great stuff on the Quilting Board and I could have several quilts, all done, all coordinated, all beautiful! I think the fabric is even more fun than the quilting!
Old 10-24-2011, 06:04 AM

I use the pages for collecting baseball cards, cutting samples of fabrics, and paper of what I need such as 1/2 yard of dark, medium or light. Better size to see the whole print. Also how much for backing if I find some at a very resonable price. These I have in a folder becide the seat in my car so I always have them ready for those quick stops. I tend to buy what I need. Use those samples for your quilt diary when done or to remember what is left in your stash.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:32 AM

I use a mini 3-ring binder. It has the patterns, clips of the fabrics I've collected to date for each pattern, and also has clips of significant fabrics in my stash in case I see a complimentary fabric. I keep my wish list in the same binder :)
Old 10-24-2011, 06:36 AM

I tape mine to a card side by side then it's easy to match
colors
Old 10-24-2011, 06:49 AM

I usually have some blocks made that I need to match for borders. So I just take a block with me.
I use fat quarters a lot and dont have border and binding fabric.
It would be nice to have samples of fabrics in my stash with me but have to many. But Becka you sure have me thinking about how to do it.
I use the wasted fabric from straightening the edges to match sometimes.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
a small project notebook is nice= you can glue strips of each fabric you are using along with pattern information- and any key notes all together to refer to when ever you need to= it also lets you go back at a later date and see exactly what you used for any given project....i keep one for projects and a separate one for battings
I wish I was so organized. I sometimes try to match by memory (guess how that turns out) and I absolutely hate when I buy the fabric, and then can't remember the pattern I was going to use. I know sometimes I have bought several fabric bundles for the same pattern but then can't even find the pattern. I need to be better organized!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:00 AM

I don't take small swatches usually. I take a bag or tote with all the materials I want to match with me. That way I have larger pieces to match with what is in the shop. I can see more what it would look like as a finished quilt. Our LQSs are used to this.

If I take smaller swatches or pieces there might not be enough to match will all the other materials I would want to buy.

ali
Old 10-24-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by dahlshouse
I have been looking for a good way to carry swatches with me to quilt shops to match when I need additional fabrics for a project in the works.. I rarely buy coordinating fabric when I initially pick one up...(as usually do this on a shop hop)... figure to get others when I am ready to start that quilt...
Also wonder what is your favorite or best way you have found to take a small swatch of main fabric
Thank you in advance for all your ideas... such a great group of people on this board...
This is what I do. A dollar store purse size photo album. I cut off a corner of the fabric and put it in the album on 3x5 cards. I have all the fabrics for a quilt on one card and what color is needed to complete the quilt. On another card I have the swatches of fabrics that have not yet been designated for a quilt design yet. It works great for me.

this fabric is designated for a Grandmother's fan quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]276418[/ATTACH]

I mark the yardage that I have in each fabric as well
[ATTACH=CONFIG]276419[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-276365.jpe
Views:	23
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	276418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-276366.jpe
Views:	22
Size:	36.6 KB