Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Making a tote out of the dog/cat food bags. >

Making a tote out of the dog/cat food bags.

Making a tote out of the dog/cat food bags.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by girliegirl
thankyou! that is the book that i have and i am looking for right now! want to use these for food store, gardening bag and one to hold dog brushes and what not in .... would like to make some for the spca so they can use them as the bags they use for adoptions!
You have now given me the visualization ..... SPCA putting dog into bag and presenting it to the new "parents"! :)
:-D :thumbup:
Old 10-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pdcakm
Originally Posted by QuiltE
thankyou! that is the book that i have and i am looking for right now! want to use these for food store, gardening bag and one to hold dog brushes and what not in .... would like to make some for the spca so they can use them as the bags they use for adoptions!
You have now given me the visualization ..... SPCA putting dog into bag and presenting it to the new "parents"! :)
:-D :thumbup:
PDCAKM ... your dog's eyes says it all .... whaaaaaaat? they're going to put cats and dogs in those bags? :lol: :lol:
Old 10-23-2011, 02:45 PM

I bought large bags of corn at Fleet-Farm , we feed the ducks at the park.The bags aren't as colorful, but they would work fine too, have a couple from bird seed too.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by phatquilts2
Love your avatar.

I just made one last week-end out of a dog food bag. used the instructions from BHGC "Quilts & More", the Fall 2010 issue.

It is really simple. clean your bag. just wipe it or air it out in the sunshine. use webbing in a length adjustable to hang over your shoulders. you can square out the bottom [just like a regular tote, if you wish].

It is an easy, fun project just a 'novelty'. My bag is over sized, the original bag holds over 40 pounds of food.
What a great idea!!! I just threw my bags out. Shortly it will be time to buy again.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Nancy S.

Originally Posted by phatquilts2
Love your avatar.

I just made one last week-end out of a dog food bag. used the instructions from BHGC "Quilts & More", the Fall 2010 issue.

It is really simple. clean your bag. just wipe it or air it out in the sunshine. use webbing in a length adjustable to hang over your shoulders. you can square out the bottom [just like a regular tote, if you wish].

It is an easy, fun project just a 'novelty'. My bag is over sized, the original bag holds over 40 pounds of food.
What a great idea!!! I just threw my bags out. Shortly it will be time to buy again.
Mine were burned yesterday when my husband "cleaned" out the kennel (he did save 2 for trash bags) but there will be more --- as long as dogs are hungry (are they ever not?).
Old 10-24-2011, 07:09 AM

Just checked this out - it is great. Will have to have a friend with a large dog save me some bags - my Isabella takes about 6 weeks to go through a small bag!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:42 AM

If you don't particularly like the graphics on the outside of the bag, the insides are usually just plain white, so you can make it with the white to the outside.

Has anyone tried washing these bags (turned inside out) in the washing machine before starting the project?
Old 10-24-2011, 08:20 AM

I just cut mine open and hung it up outside to let the rain wash it off, or hosed it off. and let it dry.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

Great topic and love all the ideas posted. Bless you all for your fund raising ideas that benefit animals.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:26 PM

I have been doing this for over a year now with my cat food bags. almost every other one I make I give it away because everyone loves them. I stopped at a feed mill last week & told this guy working there what I do with the cat food bags & ask about buying some wmpty bags off of them. He looked diown his nose at me & informed me that it would not work. So I went to the one across the road & told the lady there what I wanted to do & she sold me a couple of bags. I am thinking about doing a quilt block & putting it on the out side.