Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Quilt-Along Completed Quilt/Top  Photo/Discussion Page >

The FWS Quilt-Along Completed Quilt/Top Photo/Discussion Page

The FWS Quilt-Along Completed Quilt/Top Photo/Discussion Page

Old 10-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JeanieG
Well, here is the 2nd half of my quilt. Finally finished, but not quilted yet. The border and sashings are a cream color, they photographed lighter.
JeanieG ... somehow I missed this one earlier. I'm totally taken with your colours!! Beautiful.

You mentioned that it's the 2nd ... Can you please show me where you posted the 1st half? Sure would like to see it as well!! THANKS!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad
These finished tops are so inspirational. I like the idea of QAYG. Maybe the only way I would get mine done. Thanks to all the talented people who have shown off their quilts. I hope to see more, right QuiltE?
Yes ... I am sitting here anxiously awaiting to see other FWS finish up, as I work on mine.

I've been thinkint QAYG, though I need some practice on it first before I commit to that. With all the work that this is, can I learn the technique well enough to do my piecing work justice? Or I might be opt to send it off to LAQ? or handquilter? Long time before I need to make these decisions!
Old 10-24-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
These finished tops are so inspirational. I like the idea of QAYG. Maybe the only way I would get mine done. Thanks to all the talented people who have shown off their quilts. I hope to see more, right QuiltE?
Yes ... I am sitting here anxiously awaiting to see other FWS finish up, as I work on mine.

I've been thinkint QAYG, though I need some practice on it first before I commit to that. With all the work that this is, can I learn the technique well enough to do my piecing work justice? Or I might be opt to send it off to LAQ? or handquilter? Long time before I need to make these decisions!
I am a fairly new quilter. When I started, I quilted a small 20x20 wallhanging. Then I quilted a larger wall hanging. My third was a full-size quilt. I did these in the evenings watching television. I have a queen size quilt I'm working on now and, believe me, that's the last time I will every try something so large on a lap hoop! That's why I decided to do FWS QAYG. I'm just going to put together 6x6 blocks with sashing and then quilt along like that and in the end put it all together.

With the practice I've been doing in the last couple of years I'm ready to do the FWS. Not that my quilting is perfect by any means.

If you start quilting now, you'll have a year of practice under your belt before you have to quilt.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:19 AM

Well, here is the 2nd half of my quilt. Finally finished, but not quilted yet. The border and sashings are a cream color, they photographed lighter.
JeanieG ... somehow I missed this one earlier. I'm totally taken with your colours!! Beautiful.

You mentioned that it's the 2nd ... Can you please show me where you posted the 1st half? Sure would like to see it as well!! THANKS!
Here is the 1st half flimsy!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-276460.jpe
Views:	1095
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	276513  
Old 10-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

Here is the 1st half flimsy!
That looks so rich with the deep reds and greens. The sand (colour??) fits so well with them for the sashings and borders.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:33 PM

Jeanie, it's lovely! But where's the Christmas-fabrics first-half? Didn't you say it was going to be for your DH?
Old 10-24-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Evie
Jeanie, it's lovely! But where's the Christmas-fabrics first-half? Didn't you say it was going to be for your DH?
LOL, Evie this is the Christmas Fabric first half. It is a Moda Fabric called Northwoods Botanical. I did not notice that it was a Christamas fabric until someone brought it to my attention. I just liked the colors and thought they would look great in my living room. I have finished quilting it, and DH loves it. I just started quilting the 2nd half quilt. I will post both "quilted" halves when I finish the 2nd one.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:47 PM

Weezie, Thank you for the lovely comment on my purple quilt. I really enjoyed doing this. From my other quilts it seems like I pick a variety of fabric in the same color family. I made 4 Dresden plate quilts. 2 green fabrics, 1 blue fabrics and 1 mauve & pink fafrics for my 4 children for Christmas last year. They were all queen size.

JeanieG, Your red and green quilt is so beautiful. I really like it.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Evie
LOL, Evie this is the Christmas Fabric first half. It is a Moda Fabric called Northwoods Botanical. I did not notice that it was a Christamas fabric until someone brought it to my attention. I just liked the colors and thought they would look great in my living room. I have finished quilting it, and DH loves it. I just started quilting the 2nd half quilt. I will post both "quilted" halves when I finish the 2nd one.
Lovely. When you split the blocks into 2 groups how big are you quilts? Since I'm only a half dozen blocks in that might be a good option for me.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:22 PM

Lovely. When you split the blocks into 2 groups how big are you quilts? Since I'm only a half dozen blocks in that might be a good option for me.
I followed the directions on page 245 in the book. It is 57" X 67". Just decided that I could use two lap size rather than one queen size.