Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
If You Could Chose One from >

If You Could Chose One from

If You Could Chose One from

Old 10-24-2011, 06:47 AM

Amen (or can we not say that in America anymore? is it not pc?) :hunf:
Old 10-25-2011, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by mrsk
Originally Posted by quilticing
Edited TV commercials, no profanity, violence, nudity especially before 9pm.
Here, Here!!!!
I would even go back to cigarette comercials if they would just bann all the "men's sexual problem" pill commercials, the incontinence adds, and the pills for anything that causes worse side effects than the original pill is supposed to cure!
OH YES!!! And I get so annoyed at the commercials with women who have voices that are winey. This one lady keeps saying "my cvs" like she can sell it. And there is the guy who says his kid tells him"dad, your teeth are bad." and the lady who says "my RA" for rhumatioid arthuritis like she owns it. I liked the old commercials where some sweet person sang a jingle. "Just brush your teeth with colegate, colgate dental cream lalalal"
Old 10-25-2011, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by kaykwilts
Originally Posted by zoeytoo
Originally Posted by kaykwilts
Forgive me for this....but I would love it if we went back to all immigrants desiring to learn English and wanting to become an American....I get really tired of not being understood by someone who lives here but chooses not to speak English....and the feeling that at 52 I have to learn a new language in order to communicate with most checkers at the grocery store.
I once tried to communicate with a Spanish speaking person in their language after two years learning Spanish in high school. I came away with more appreciation for how difficult speaking a second language is. Most of them work jobs that are physical and raise a family as well on little money. When you are tired you don't feel like tackling another hard task, yet many do learn English. Becoming a literacy volunteer and you would help them. We'd have to walk a mile in their moccasins as the American Indian saying goes, to understand how it is to be an immigrant. Kindness is a universal language...we all understand it.
I appreciate the difficulty inherent in working a physical job (something I HAVE done before...for three years) and in being tired at the end of the day....AND having to learn a new language. BUT I personally know of Spanish speaking people who have been in this country for 30 years and never learned English. (My new DIL's mother is one) From all that I have read and studied, that wasn't the case during the time of the "Great Immigration" of the early 1900's. Back then, if the history books are correct, those coming here sought to find a better life for themselves, AND learned English as a means to achieve that better life. I have worked as a Literacy Volunteer before, and found that because there was NO desire or push for the adults at home to learn English, the children were less interested too...just doing it because they we told they HAD to by the teachers at the school (I worked with the children of the "boat" people from Cambodia, North Vietnam, and Laos).....I feel I have been kind and understanding of how hard many Hispanics work...and the struggles they go through when coming here....BUT when you have been here for 30 years and still can't understand or speak English...to me, that isn't about just being too tired at the end of the day....that is just NOT wanting to become an American.

Sorry if I offended you....that was not my intent.

And I agree, kindness is a universal language....and English should be the official language of the United States.
Oh, you didn't offend me and I agree with your main point about learning the language. I wanted to make an additional comment not contradict yours. My family came from Italy (but I was born here) and the funny thing is my dad made us talk English at home
so I do not know very much Italian except what my maternal gram said and I asked what it meant. I worked with ESL kids who are eager to be just like the American born kids and it is hard because their accents and limited vocabulary makes them different. I once taught a Russian girl 7 years old who spoke and wrote better English than the rest of the USA born kids. Our language has many confusing aspects, especially for Oriental children who have to learn the abc formations as well as the words. Glad I was born here:) Thank God for America every day.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:09 AM

One of those old phones where you had to put your finger in a hole and make a circle with your hand.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Conartist1945
A real person on the other line rather than a recording
wouldn't that be nice
Old 10-25-2011, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

people still believed God would provide their needs - now they think the government will provide their wants as well as their needs
Old 10-25-2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
people still believed God would provide their needs - now they think the government will provide their wants as well as their needs
I know what you mean. I'm a good old fashioned believer in having faith that God will take care of my needs. I'm praying for a place to move to with two daughters and a grand daughter. The government isn't going to help me without going to public housing, been there, done that. But I do know He will do what I can't do and With God ALL things are possible!! :thumbup:
Old 10-25-2011, 07:29 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

[quote=kaykwilts]
Originally Posted by running1
I've often wished for a much slower pace...

This is just so true. We all need to remember that we actively participate in these decisions, and that what we do every day has long term consequences. We want to save a buck on a yard of fabric, and soon all fabric is made in China or India. We want to drive everywhere and park conveniently and at no cost, and soon our downtowns die and everything is a strip mall. And what do we do with the money and time that we have thus saved? Do we use it to make this world a better place? No, we (and I am including myself here) just spend or use it on more stuff. As Wordsworth said well over a hundred years ago,

The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers;—
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:29 AM

can I add to this even though I didn't live in "the old days"? But I would love to have people write letters to each other. how I love looking through my grandparents and great grandparents letters to each other that my grandma saved. so romantic! but also I have an old car that's not too automated so my dad can fix most of the things by himself which he's also trying to teach me though I don't know what good it will do me in oh, I don't know, 20 years?
Old 10-25-2011, 08:47 AM

for all of you asking for a clothes line, I love mine. I love sheets hanging out the most but not so much towels. We even hang ours out a little in the winter. I think they freeze more than dry, but my mom says they dry and we put them in the dryer for a few minutes. But this year we're getting a drying rack to put next to the wood stove that's going to go in our kitchen for heat this year. I try to be old fashioned when I can, but with some things, I do keep up (technology for one so I can help my dad understand when the computer doesn't work) but oh, how I would love to have a treadle! all you who have one are so lucky!!