Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Getting ready to go get my Mamogram, what about you?! >

Getting ready to go get my Mamogram, what about you?!

Getting ready to go get my Mamogram, what about you?!

Old 10-25-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by 3incollege
My insurance won't cover it! so have to pass!
Mine didn't before but does now due to the new healthcare laws. I didn't even have a copay!

And in KY you have to have a referral from your DR. to get one! Crazy!!! But the Dr. didn't charge me either when I stressed I was only there to get a mammo appt.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:07 AM

Had mine recently, all is well....
Old 10-25-2011, 07:03 AM

I always plan it near my birthday because you never forget your own birthday!
Old 10-25-2011, 07:31 AM

I have mine every Feb.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by dd
So much controversy about whether you should get it every year or every other year. With our insurance, I can't afford it this year. Know any place doing it for free? I always hear about it after the fact.
Had mine at the Betty Puskar Breast Cancer Center, Morgantown WV last week as a scheduled follow-up. They're doing free ones, too, you need to make an appointment NOW. My cancer was found during routine mammogram--it could not be felt during exam.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:53 AM

I schedule mine at the same time each year as well.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:26 AM

Just had mine. Thank goodness we don't have to get SMASHED anymore. Pleasant surprise!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:32 AM

Please don't pass. Found this info online. Maybe this can be an option for you.

How can uninsured or low-income women obtain a free or low-cost screening mammogram?
Some state and local health programs and employers provide mammograms free or at low cost. For example, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) coordinates the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program. This program provides screening services, including clinical breast exams and mammograms, to low-income, uninsured women throughout the United States and in several U.S. territories. Contact information for local programs is available on the CDC’s Web site at http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/cancerconta...p/contacts.asp or by calling the CDC at 1–800–CDC–INFO (1–800–232–4636).

Information about low-cost or free mammography screening programs is also available through NCI’s Cancer Information Service (CIS) at 1–800–4–CANCER (1–800–422–6237). Women can also check with their local hospital, health department, women’s center, or other community groups to find out how to access low-cost or free mammograms.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:33 AM

Please don't pass. Found this info online. Maybe this can be an option for you.

How can uninsured or low-income women obtain a free or low-cost screening mammogram?
Some state and local health programs and employers provide mammograms free or at low cost. For example, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) coordinates the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program. This program provides screening services, including clinical breast exams and mammograms, to low-income, uninsured women throughout the United States and in several U.S. territories. Contact information for local programs is available on the CDC’s Web site at http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/cancerconta...p/contacts.asp or by calling the CDC at 1–800–CDC–INFO (1–800–232–4636).

Information about low-cost or free mammography screening programs is also available through NCI’s Cancer Information Service (CIS) at 1–800–4–CANCER (1–800–422–6237). Women can also check with their local hospital, health department, women’s center, or other community groups to find out how to access low-cost or free mammograms.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:35 AM

Schedule mine from year to year. Breast cancer in the family and I have all the markers just not the cancer yet. It almost seems like a waiting game. But I take care of myself as I can and live life to fullest.
God Bless everyone who has posted the reminders.