Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let me ask. Does anyone know what it means when the lady at the shop said the gears need to be packed ? She wanted to have me leave one of my machines to service it but I didn't have the $ at the time. She said it needed to be cleaned, oiled and the >

Let me ask. Does anyone know what it means when the lady at the shop said the gears need to be packed ? She wanted to have me leave one of my machines to service it but I didn't have the $ at the time. She said it needed to be cleaned, oiled and the

Let me ask. Does anyone know what it means when the lady at the shop said the gears need to be packed ? She wanted to have me leave one of my machines to service it but I didn't have the $ at the time. She said it needed to be cleaned, oiled and the

Old 10-25-2011, 07:20 AM

When I picked up my featherweight from the sewing repair that I really trust, I asked them about the tube of grease that was in the case--It was my mother's machine. He said that it just needed a touch of oil on those areas and that the grease changes consistency after a while and it will freeze up the machine.--Would like to hear what Billy says.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Grannymom and Zipit are right. Get Singer lubricant, it will be in a tube, you don't want to use oil...the gears move too fast and it will just fling the oil off. Open every part of your machine that you can and check for places that may need a bit of lubrication other than oil. Oil is generally for the "hinged" parts, you want the grease for the gears...

Do NOT use lithium grease! That stuff will harden up and be IMPOSSIBLE to remove...it causes problems in the long run... ask me, with my 201K how I know this? :(
I would follow Charlee's advice. If one grease works for everything why would there be so many different kinds of grease. I'm sure any grease would work for a while but not all of them would be good for your machine in the long run. Companies spend thousands on research for what works best for their products so I would rather take advantage of their research and get what will be best for my machine in the long run rather than something that works now but might cause problems in the future.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:53 AM

Yeah, you gotta' keep your gears greased.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
Originally Posted by frauhahn
I'm assuming the gears need to be packed with grease-to reduce friction. The grease dries out after a while.
I think that's it. I needed the same thing done to my wheels on my old car.
I was thinking it was a car thing.......
Old 10-25-2011, 09:07 AM

Singer has a tube of white grease tha tI use on my featherweight machine..
Old 10-25-2011, 12:46 PM

I would use the Singer lubricant. It is stiff when it comes out of the tube and, like others have said, use it sparingly on the teeth of the gears. Roll the wheel and move the grease onto the other teeth, or use a small artist's paint brush to brush the lubricant into the creases of the teeth. That should "pack" them just fine.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:05 PM

My husband said you don't pack them you oil them and you use machine oil.He is the only one that works on my machines and he does a great job.I only have 5 regular machines and a serger and an upholstery machine so he knows what he is talking about.Hope this helps you.
She probably meant oiled and just said the wrong word.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:21 PM

Ok. Thank you all. :) Great help. I do have the oil but wasn't sure if there was something "special" that I needed to do.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:23 PM

You would want a lubricant on gears, not an oil. Since gears spin, they would spray oil while lubricant would stay where it was applied.

Oil is for smooth surfaces that have contact of some sort.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:26 PM

She was talking about gears. I can see the feather weight has gears when you open the bottom and my longarm has gears. I guess It depends on what machine you have.. as to whether it has gears or not. I use lithium grease on my longarm. It doesn't get hard. You just take it off where it was flung and respread it on the gears. If you need more I have a tube that I can add to it. The singer gives you a lubricant that comes in a tube. If that is what you are supposed to use i would use it and not the lithium. Its what works for the machine.