Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let me ask. Does anyone know what it means when the lady at the shop said the gears need to be packed ? She wanted to have me leave one of my machines to service it but I didn't have the $ at the time. She said it needed to be cleaned, oiled and the >

Let me ask. Does anyone know what it means when the lady at the shop said the gears need to be packed ? She wanted to have me leave one of my machines to service it but I didn't have the $ at the time. She said it needed to be cleaned, oiled and the

Let me ask. Does anyone know what it means when the lady at the shop said the gears need to be packed ? She wanted to have me leave one of my machines to service it but I didn't have the $ at the time. She said it needed to be cleaned, oiled and the

Old 10-25-2011, 01:26 PM

prayers for billy
Old 10-25-2011, 01:30 PM

It's the underside of the machine. I would put the oil in the holes where the oil goes. I would post a picture but haven't been able to for some reason. Not sure if it has anything to do with my Internet Explorer being updated or what?!
Old 10-25-2011, 02:05 PM

Sounds like you need to get a second opinion. What does your machine manual say?
Old 10-25-2011, 02:21 PM

Your machine takes both grease and oil. You can use vaseline. A well respected, retired OSMG who passed away a couple years ago always used vaseline and mineral oil on the machines he worked on. If it was good enough for him and the machines he serviced in his shop - it is good enough for me.

I use food grade mineral oil and store brand vaseline/petroleum jelly. If you want a good lube that is also food safe you can try Super Lube. It is hard to find in the wild but you can get it online or at a GM dealer.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:28 PM

I clean the old grease off and apply the new grease, old grease will look black and yucky. It's probably just a lingo they use in their shop, there is no way to pack the gears in a sewing machine with grease other that applying it directly to where the gears meet.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Ann
Sounds like you need to get a second opinion. What does your machine manual say?
I bought it 2nd hand and there is no manual.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:32 PM

I have some real old singers 30s style, they came with gear grease to pack the gears, When I bought my 930 Bernina many years ago I was told I would never have to have the gears packed, I have never had the machine serviced in a shop, but I clean it every time I refill the bobbin and put a drop of oil in now and then. I was offered $1,000.00 for it recently., I paid $1,300 for it in the early 80's, Using it tomorrow for a small class here with my local small group of quilters, we are learning how to bind different degree angles that are mitered, so nice to have a quilting teacher from the local college in our group
Old 10-25-2011, 02:41 PM

What type of machine? I know my Brother you do not grease or oil because the plastic gears are to be left alone,can not recall how they said it but suppose to kinda lubricate themselves.Hope this helps
Old 10-25-2011, 03:04 PM

Try ask.com or howto.com? There are several others. I just type the question in my yahoo search or google search and see what comes up. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:11 PM

Why not call the sewing machine store and ask this question.