Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where will my quilts go? >

Where will my quilts go?

Where will my quilts go?

Old 10-25-2011, 02:39 PM

That is so sad, huh....saddest part is that kids won't appreciate all of your treasures until they are much older. I can remember when my grandma died, so much of her "old stuff" was thrown out by my uncle....boy, would I love that "old stuff" today....especially since it was HERS!! sad generation...thanks for sharing!!
Old 10-25-2011, 03:41 PM

I have 3 DD's, 8 DGDs, 2 DGGD's, several nieces: and only two out of all of them are remotely interested in fabric, quilts, or quilting. That may change as they begin having more kids or as the economy tightens up, at least I hope so. If not, I have alternatives written down for the disposal of my goodies and my machines...some quilter who is low on her stash will get a nice bonus!
Old 10-25-2011, 03:47 PM

Somewhere I found a form that stipulated where quilting/sewing items were to go upon death. I downloaded it, & when I find it, I'll post it to the board. One elderly lady had her form filled out when she & her husband went to their attorney to file their "real" wills. She asked the lawyer if she could just staple copies to the backs of the wills & he agreed.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by chairjogger
I have no idea.. I give most of my things away.. I have a few quilts from my grandmother's .. but the kids appear to have very little interst.. along with my china and crystal that all would I married - so carefully registered for.. this generation. "We don't want old stuff Mom."

I try not to think about it. :(
I gave been widowed and remarried along with two moves I never planned to make. Nearly my whole house and its contents was up for grabs. Not one thing was wanted by either of my sons. Not anything. My DDIL did take the Christmas china. I am not even certain that if I had a list of who gets what that they'd even want it. I have given most everything away. I do most of my work for Project Linus and other charities.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:48 PM

I have talked to my hubby already...my kids will get the quilts...and my stash ..my quilt friends will take care of..my 8 sewing machines will go to granddaughters and GGd
Old 10-25-2011, 06:39 PM

This is an excellent subject for all of us to ponder. I don't know how many "estate" sales and "she who died with the most fabric" sales if have been to in the last 3 years......
If we don't use it and don't designate it - then what?
"It" will either end up at Salvation Army or Goodwill or a yard sale. We should designate. I like the idea of making a list and posting it on the door of your studio, sewing room, work room and giving a copy to the person who will be executor of your estate. In that manner we will have a say in what happens to our "stuff".
Old 10-26-2011, 04:07 AM

This might be your answer.

Husband and I went to an estate sale this morning. They advertised lots of craft items and fabric. It opened at 9 and we got there at 11. Below is what I scored. In the bin are 17 yds. of flannel, mostly 1 yd. cuts, 3 1/2 yds batiks, 5 yds. of assorted butterfly fabrics, 15 yds of assorted calicos and 7 yds of 90" wide backing plus 4 crib quilts in various stages. On the floor is 3 cuts of 60" x 6 yds, one 15 yd x 45 in. The quilt top draped in back was made for a teacher's retirement and is signed by her co-workers. Also got 3 omni rulers and the tools and thread on the floor. Not pictured is the batting, all in unopened packages - 1 king batt, 4 crib, 2 queen, 1 full and two fusible twin sizes. All for $40. Oh, and the bin, too. And she told me she had already sold a few bags of fabric.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:14 PM

This is a good topic and something for all of us to think about and address with our families. As for my quilts, what the kids don't want I am going to ask that they donate them to a quilt museum. I know they will apreciated and taken care of there. The rest, I haven't decided yet.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:41 PM

Since I am a newbie quilter, I don't have many to worry about. My stash would definitely go to 4H, though. Leaders can always use fabric, so if none of your family wants your fabric, call your local extension office.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sallyjane
I heard a good idea once (maybe here): those projects that we have sitting around - either UFOs or unstarted, put the project along with pattern in whatever container you like. I often reuse those clear zippered bags that linens come in. Then label the project. If it is going to be a gift put the recipient's name on it. That way if the quilter passes away unexpectantly, when family members are going through the chaos, they will know who the quilter had in mind for each unfinished project.
Beware of those zippered bags, check often I have heard that depending on where you live they mold your fabric. Pillowcases I've heard as the popular answer to storing projects....just thought I'd mention it, hate for something to happen!!