Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A manly sort of quilt that I made for myself >

A manly sort of quilt that I made for myself

A manly sort of quilt that I made for myself

Old 07-23-2009, 01:52 PM

Your quilt is beautiful. Nice job. i would love a quilt like that. I am a newbie and not very confident in my work. That is great work.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:00 PM

love your quilt,it has the old fashion look that i love :mrgreen:
Old 07-23-2009, 06:08 PM
jd

well done. it is simply beautiful and it gives many of us good ideas.

jeanne
Old 07-23-2009, 06:23 PM

Love that quilt! I'm always attracted to Kansas Troubles fabric. It has a beautiful country feel. Good job, and you've inspired me to make one using my charm squares. I love the idea of dark, light, and just pulling squares out of a paper bag without fussing about what color should go where. Simply beautiful!
Old 07-25-2009, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
I decided to make a quilt for myself to use on my side of the bed, since the one I've been using was made by my wife's grandmother about 70-80 years ago, and my wife was saying it needed a rest. :) I choose the "Wovens" from the "Garden Inspiration" pattern by Kansas Troubles of the Moda line. It measures 51" x 68". I used four 5" charm packs to create the simple alternating light and dark pattern of 10 x 14 rows.

After I was already into piecing it I noticed that some of the pieces were cut kind of wonky (i.e., the plaid pattern lines weren't parallel with the cut edge), so I probably should have squared them all to a slightly smaller size before piecing, but I guess we'll just say it's part of the "charm" of the quilt. :D The border, backing, and binding were all done with yardage from the same line of fabric.

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/E-G-L/Woven_1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/E-G-L/Woven_3.jpg[/IMG]
No Eddie, you don't want everything all perfectly lined up. How boring is that? Your squares are perfect. What's the fun if you can't relax? Are you always going to have that quilt perfectly folded in a perfect square. Let those squares fall as they may. Great quilt.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
wesing was first to recognize the quote. :thumbup:

the thing about the Amish purposely making a mistake is a myth. it really irritates them, too, because it implies they think they could achieve absolutel perfection - which they know is impossible among human beings.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:01 PM

Great job Eddie - I love the colors. when I saw the pictures of your wife's stash and your's, I am much more drawn to your fabrics than her's! I have some of the brighter tones adn fabrics, but mine are generally much more subdued and while some are "girlie" (ie. flower, butterflies, scroll patterns), the colors seem to be more of the quieter side!

I just may have to go out and buy some flannel plaids and get started on a good warm winter quilt for our MN winters!
Old 07-27-2009, 03:13 PM

Hey Eddie

Yet another beauty from you, I must get my hands on some of this plaid flannel, did you use charm packs for this baby.
As you may be aware I am a lady :lol: however I would be more than happy to sleep under your manly (as you refer to it) quilt. It looks so snuggly & I adore your choice of colours too.
Also the simplicity of the quilt just goes to show that we don't always have to go for an intricate design or pattern to get a brilliant result.

BTW I have to admitt that I am drawn towards your shelf with your choice of fabrics too - I do like brights although I prefer your choice of tones etc more. :wink:

Tisha
Old 07-27-2009, 03:27 PM

Thanks again everyone for the nice comments, it's very much appreciated. :)

Originally Posted by quilter1962
I must get my hands on some of this plaid flannel, did you use charm packs for this baby.
Yes, the charm packs are the "Wovens" from the "Garden Inspiration" pattern by Kansas Troubles of the Moda line. I've seen them on eBay quite a bit for like $3.75 per pack of 21 layers. It took 8 packs to make the top, so that's about $30. I'm almost tempted to go get some more of them to have for the future, maybe a quilt for my father-in-law.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:49 PM

Eddie, great quilt. The 5" blocks go quickly & can't find any mistakes. Keep up the great work. Glad you took time to do something for you.