Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 440 vs. Viking Sapphire 870 >

Bernina 440 vs. Viking Sapphire 870

Bernina 440 vs. Viking Sapphire 870

Old 07-23-2009, 06:10 AM

Just got the Bernina 440 QE a month ago and I am in Love! got my used with the knee lifter, BSR, walking foot and a bunch of other feet for $1900 including tax. Never thought I would spend that much on a machine (most of the cars we drive, didn't cost more than that), but I am so glad I did! Although the Bernina dealer is almost 1 hour from my home, they are fantastic! And they have a great reputation for service as well as giving great trade ins if you want to trade up.

I always feel that service after the sale in anything is very important, so if you like the Bernina dealer better, that is where I'd head. IMHO

Good luck! Having a machine that you are happy with and is a dream to sew with is sooooooo importatnt!
Old 07-23-2009, 06:12 AM

OH, forgot to mention, that my Bernina dealer also offers a extensive free class so you can get to learn you machine quickly and ask questions. See if yours offers that too.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:46 AM

You are soooooooo lucky! My 440 cost us $3800! I agee with those who said to test drive the machines first-- and take your time! Try many different fabrics and stitches. I love the knee lifter, but after sewing without one for about 40 years, it is hard to get used to letting your knee do the work! Good luck on finding the machine right for you!
Old 07-23-2009, 07:09 AM

My vote would definitely be for the Bernina......I have a 640, and absolutely LOVE it. Would recommend getting the BSR at a later date when possible...you'll love it also!
Old 07-23-2009, 08:52 AM

I have the Bernia 440 and love it. I have the BSR but do not use it when free motioning. I found having to push the button to stop was a pain. But you can use it with the foot too though the dealers don't really encourage that for some reason. But I didn't like it either so I use the darning foot. I love the way it sews and free motion on it all the time with just using the darning foot. There are people who own the older version of Bernina's and will not part with them even when they buy the newer ones!
I have a Phaff and it sewed ok but like my Bernina better. The bobbin takes twice as much thread too! It seems I was always winding the bobbin on the Phaff.
I just received shipment today on my A1 Longarm! Can't wait to get started on that.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:43 AM

I have a viking 1+. Ibought it used. There are 3 Joann stores near me who sell vikings. They all refused to help me learn the machine. Iexpected to have to pay for lessons. A Bernina dealer near me said they would help if I had a Bernina nomatter where I bought it.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by iamsjh
I have a viking 1+. Ibought it used. There are 3 Joann stores near me who sell vikings. They all refused to help me learn the machine. Iexpected to have to pay for lessons. A Bernina dealer near me said they would help if I had a Bernina nomatter where I bought it.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:53 AM

I have a Bernina 440QE--this is a smooth running very nice machine. The throat space is not large enough though. Why they designed a quilting machine this way I can't say. My workhorse and machine I use the most is a Janome 9000--this does everything but does not have the stitch regulator. The Bernina is also a slower machine and I like to sew fast--this is probably the main reason I like the Janome so much.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:45 PM

I think Viking is way over priced on any of add-on features (feet,bobbins etc)
I have two Desigher #1s embroidery machine and it costs a fortune to get replacements, etc...I would definitely go for the Bernina...I had one with the knee lift and loved it and had no problems with it ...even sewd great for heavy duty sewing.....would definitely get another one.....but they just won't give me anything for any kind of tradein.....good luck..
Old 07-23-2009, 06:36 PM

I have 2 Bernina's and they sew really well without problems. The knee lifter is so helpful too. The biggest consideration to me would be to buy from a dealer close to me and get the free lessons they offer and the support at other times. Someone told me years ago that Bernina is the Cadillac of sewing machines and I believe that is true. It is expensive but worth it to me.
Wanda