Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let me ask. Does anyone know what it means when the lady at the shop said the gears need to be packed ? She wanted to have me leave one of my machines to service it but I didn't have the $ at the time. She said it needed to be cleaned, oiled and the >

Let me ask. Does anyone know what it means when the lady at the shop said the gears need to be packed ? She wanted to have me leave one of my machines to service it but I didn't have the $ at the time. She said it needed to be cleaned, oiled and the

Let me ask. Does anyone know what it means when the lady at the shop said the gears need to be packed ? She wanted to have me leave one of my machines to service it but I didn't have the $ at the time. She said it needed to be cleaned, oiled and the

Old 10-25-2011, 04:53 PM

I clean my own Brother 1500...uses lithium grease and machine oil...I got it online as to 'how to' and what to do..might have been yahoo...Janome's do not need anything as they are digital...anything mechanical is easy to do...just pay attention to where you open and the screws go...when you open the machine you will see where...because there will be old grease in there..
Old 10-25-2011, 05:29 PM

Same as packing the bearings on your car wheels.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:29 PM

Same as packing the bearings on your car wheels .
Old 10-25-2011, 06:24 PM

Try to Google Sears, find your model no. and you may beable to get a manual and/or get the info you need. They may list parts and attachments still available now. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:52 PM

http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...es/singfea.pdf

look at page 18. this is a featherweight, but it might relate to yours.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:10 PM

I think the bernina gears are nylon, I work at a St Vincents thrift shp, I clean up the machines I am not a tech but they come in dirty and the bobbin sometimes needs the screw loosend or tightened,Many of the problems are with the plastic gears,or just plain need a small amount of oil,the manuals tell you where and how much to oil. After 25 years when the warrenty is up some of the machines quit working because the plastic gears break, I have never had a Bernina and very few Huskys or Vickings come in at any age, BUT I get many of the walmart singers and brothers, cheap plastic machines don't last long , :thumbup:
Old 10-25-2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by cassie69emt
What type of machine? I know my Brother you do not grease or oil because the plastic gears are to be left alone,can not recall how they said it but suppose to kinda lubricate themselves.Hope this helps
sewing machine oil can destroy some plastic gears. Never do that unless your manual tells you to.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by cheryl222
Just an FYI. I went to a sewing machine shop looking for grease because our Walmart did not have any. The repairman told me he didn't have any but to use Vaseline - that is what he has used for years.
Originally Posted by Peckish
I would use white lithium grease.
I sure hope you didn't follow his advice.My mannual says to use white grease which is lithum that you can get at an auto store in a small tube, if you can't find the singer grease. My Walmart doesn't carry it either. My DH sent me to the auto store to get some. It is a very thin grease.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:42 PM

when do you know when to oil it??
Old 10-25-2011, 11:07 PM

I don't know the answer and I'm not reading through all 5 pages, but I wanted to mention that I LOVE your subject line. Too many times on this board, where the subject line can be so long, people put the most vague things on it. It's nice to see one that is detailed enough so that people know before they click whether or not it's something they want to read. Nothing worse than seeing "Help" or "What do you think?" or "How do I...?" or other incredibly vague titles on threads.