Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
unplug machine when not in use >

unplug machine when not in use

unplug machine when not in use

Old 10-23-2011, 08:06 AM

This past spring we had a very bad storm and lightning struck one of the electrical boxes a block away from us. After it struck you could feel static in the air and my hair was standing on end. We now unplug and shut down everything till the storms pass and use flashlights if it is at night.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:25 AM

The telephone repair man says besure to unplug the phone jack as well, We lost phones twice this spring. He says the portable phones are very senstive to electricity going through the phone wire. Don't know for sure but we lost two brand new portables this past late spring to lightening. I didn't even think it struck anything but was sure close........ checked no phones.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Janis
I always unplug my sewing machines.
I also don't leave the house with the dryer running. Years ago a neighbor's house burned down after she left her dryer running and left the house.
I'm this way about the dryer, washer and dishwasher. If they're running, i'm staying until they are done. I have been through a couple cleanups after a dishwasher and a washer went crazy and don't want to go through it again. Besides it seems if something in this house is going to go wrong it is with water.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:32 AM

Wow......what a nightmare! I'm going out a buy surge protectors and re-evaluate my entire house!
Old 10-23-2011, 08:51 AM

My cat likes to chew electric cords so I unplug and put cord with foot up on the ironing board. I do the same with the iron. The foot does get hot if I do a great deal of chaining so I'm sure it could cause a problem if I didn't put it on the ironing board.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:00 PM

I was told that turning off the surge protector didn't stop the electricity, it stopped the surge protector from working. Yikes I'd misunderstood and had turned off my surge protector thinking I was stopping the electricity - not the way they work. Now I unplug cause that way I know the electricity is off.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
Originally Posted by MacThayer
I have my sewing machine, iron and a nearby lamp on a surge protector, and I automatically shut it off when I'm not using them. Is that enough?

In fact, practically everything in this house is on a surge protector. We were hit by lightening a few years back, and even though the house was properly grounded, the lightening was so close, it blackened an outside and inside wall, blew a wall lamp off the wall, and fried every electronic we had plugged in, even if it wasn't on, except for a couple things like the fridge and range which had built in surge protectors. And I mean every electronic! My husband had a home office, and that meant his fax, copier, scanner, and 2 computer were history. We lost every TV in the house, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Even the blow dryer for my hair blew up. You can see why we use surge protectors now!

I remember when it hit. This shock of electricity hit me, knocked me down, and my hair stood on end. Scared the heck out of the dog. It wasn't funny. And I never leave the house with anything running: dryer, dishwasher, TV, nothing.

If anyone knows if turning off a surge protector would prevent a fire, I'd love to know.
When a pole outside out house was struck, we lost out phone, fax, fridge, answering machine, some were plugged in to cheapie surge protectors but they didn't help. The electric company said if the strike is close enough surge protector will not help. They are mostly to protect against power surges. We took our expensive business phone in to see about repair and they called and said all the electronics inside the phone were melted and it was a good thing no one was talking on the phone at the time. I always thought mom was just being a scaredy cat telling us to get off the phone during a storm, but now I never talk on the phone during a storm! The electric company said safest thing to do in a storm is to unplug everything and stay off the phone and out of the shower! :!:
I'm convinced. It's just as easy to unplug the surge protector as it is to turn it off, and then I know I'm safe. All small appliances in the kitchen are always unplugged when not in use, out of habit. When a storm is approaching, I run around and unplug everything, and of course, when we're away, everything that can be unplugged, is unplugged (except the freezer and fridge). Thanks for the info!
Old 10-24-2011, 01:38 PM

We did have a fire and the cause was from a toaster left plugged in. The fireman said they hold current. So all appliances get unplugged. But do you know what? I never thought about my sewing machine. Lordy!!! I will unplug it right now.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:43 PM

I have always unplugged my machines - mostly because of the computerized machine and the possibility of electrical storms causing a problem. Now I realize there are more reasons to be safe - thank you for this information!
Originally Posted by humbird
In tonight's local news paper was an artical about a home fire, resulting in quite a lot of damage. They say the likely cause was a defective foot pedal on a sewing machine, which overheated, and started a fire on the carpet. No one was home at the time so the fire really took hold before neighbors noticed smoke. I usually unplug my machine when not in use, but did go in and check to make sure I had last time I used it. Something to think about.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:03 AM

I was also told that there is like a phantom current that runs, so it is using a small amount of current, so it saves on the elect bill to keep stuff un plugged. all the little red/green/yellow lights burn it... just a thought.