Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed with quilt show judging >

Disappointed with quilt show judging

Disappointed with quilt show judging

Old 10-26-2011, 05:10 AM

I had a similar experience when I entered a quilt at the State Fair.They didn't give any constructive criticism( which I was looking for). Instead they said something like "good color choice" but no hints for improving my work. I too, was disappointed. I know they have many,many quilts to judge but I did expect something that would point me to improvement.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

Sorry they didn't find anything to compliment you on. Your avitar is beautiful and obviously you a talented quilter. Take no offense, just critically look at your binding and ask questions at LQS on what they think is wrong and how you can improve it.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
Bindings is what all seem to go for. What else can they judge in an art quilt? Impossible to judge someones art. It is just too subjective. Traditional piecing is another thing. They can really pick those apart bit by bit.
As an art quilter, I respectively disagree. In the shows using certified judges, I find I use their criticism as a starting point to imporove my work. I make mostly art quilts, but traditionally piece too. IMHO, art quilting is not "just too subjective." What ever your subject or composition, you still need to use color, scale, pattern and design effectively. You still need to achieve this "art" by some sewing method that will involve sewing, piecing, quilting etc that can also be judged in terms of the quality and creativity of the stitching.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:15 AM

To many quilt cops at those judging shows.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by olebat
Perhaps there will be many posts on judging criteria by the time show season is over. We could all learn and grow from such treads.
Just an FYI, there have already been several excellent threads about judging criteria here on the board. Many of them have comments by several of our qualified quilt show judge members. This is one of the best threads on the subject.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-107050-1.htm
Old 10-26-2011, 05:28 AM

glassnquilts, was the local show the one in Blairsville? This years show was the first one I'd been able to attend in years and I am impressed by the set up and everything else about it. I am saddened by the fact that there is so little said about the lovely color choices and innovative design technics. Yes, the binding can make or break the overall appearanc, but, come on let's give some encouragement.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I have heard from several sources that for some reason judges always look at binding. They look at the stitching, how even the width is, how the miters are done, if the miters are stitched and if the batting fills the entire binding with no voids. I was told that often the piecing, quilting and appliqué on a quilt are all outstanding, but the binding is what separates the winners from the others. I would take the info as constructive criticism and go from there. If you do a search on this board about quilt judging, they all mention binding as being very important.
this is exactly what I was going to write...I have a friend that just won big at a show...and several of her judges comments were about how PERFECT her binding was...things like, even width, nice narrow binding, perfect corners, etc....it was good to learn from!

Take the comments and go forward...even if it means removing those bindings and doing them over so you can enter those quilts again!

This friends quilts were entered in different shows around the state..it is amazing how a quilt can get an honorable mention at one show and a blue ribbon at another....
Old 10-26-2011, 05:43 AM

I've heard that binding was a biggie as far as judging and if several quilts are tied for a ribbon it's the binding that may decide the winner. I've had quilts in two fairly large shows (all different)...one year I got a ribbon, one year I got a criticism. Just have to remember that since judges all have different likes and dislikes, they're going to have different opinions. Don't be discouraged!
Old 10-26-2011, 05:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DirtyPaw
To many quilt cops at those judging shows.
yes, in a judged show, they are paid to be...NOT necessarily the "quilt police", but the quilt judges! and the quilts that are entered to be judged expect to be JUDGED...that is what it is all about. If you really want to find out if your workmanship is worthy making to the BIG SHOWS...you have to start with the little ones and take the critiques and learn from them.

SHould a person NOT want their work judged, then perhaps a judged show is not for them. Instead there are churches/groups that do Quilt SHOWINGS...nothing is judged, no critiquing is done (beyond what the general public says about it), and no hurt feelings come out of it.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:08 AM

You make a very brave decision to step into the world of competition. You have received a lot of very good advise from other quilters. Since you did not receive any comments about the quilt itself, then take that as a compliment that you are right on target in that area and concentrate on the binding aspect. I just started quilting and from what I understand the binding is the first thing most judges zero in on first. However having said that I also know that each judge is an individual with their own biases and opinions. Each judge will judge differently. That's the world of competition. Don't get down on yourself. Be proud of the quilt. Next time you will be better prepared. Good luck. You have a blue ribbon to win next year so get sewing.