Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you look for in a quilt shop >

What do you look for in a quilt shop

What do you look for in a quilt shop

Old 10-26-2011, 05:13 AM

Being well lit is high on my list. I also love samples with kits to go with. Being followed or ignored are things that keep be from going back.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:21 AM

Orderly, clean, good smells (old and musty is not good)...I like to see a variety of fabrics and projects with the option of buying the pattern only or with the fabric. I like to see jelly rolls and charm packs available with out waiting to have them cut. I like a small selection of notions and lots of FQ's mixed in! Am I too picky??? lol
Old 10-26-2011, 05:28 AM

I like for it to smell clean and fresh..no mildewy smell.
I like a nice selection of 'affordable' fabrics.
I like to be left alone. I don't want a sales person to follow me around asking if I need help. If I need help I will ask for it.
I don't like loud music blaring in my eay while I am trying to match fabrics.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:32 AM

I like when they have a little rolling step/stool you can perch on when browsing low shelves. I get dizzy otherwise. I like to be acknowledged on arrival and if I ask for advice I like to get it. If I am not buying anything else I am almost always tempted by little ziplock bags of offcuts for small prices. I can't bear any sort of smell (even 'pleasant') in a fabric shop. I like to browse patterns and books. Like everyone else, I like variety, order cleanliness and good lighting. I also like quiet while i browse And novelty, of course.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:36 AM

The shop has to be clean and organized. I don't understand stores that have bolts four or five deep on the floor. Do they really think their customers enjoy bending down and pushing bolts out of the way so we can see what's behind them?

There is a nice LQS about 20 miles from my home. It has a variety of fabric and patterns. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and there have been times they provided water and cookies for their customers. I don't go there as often as I like because there are three other quilt stores within 6 miles of my home. Now that I think about it, I really should go to that other store to see what they have. Shopping there has always been a good experience.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:01 AM

I want to be greeted when I come in the door.

I want the store to be clean, bright and cheerful.

I want the fabric arranged neatly. Preferably off the floor. I have a hard time seeing fabric on the floor, trifocals.

I find I spend a lot more money in a friendly store. If the clerks are grumpy or ignore me totally (no greeting) I usually walk out without buying a thing. I was at a small quilt store in Baker City a couple of weekends ago. This store was really small. But I bought a bunch of fabric because the lady who owned the store was so friendly.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
Friendly helpful people, good fabric selection and cleanliness. If you are rude I will not be back.

I agree. I went to a LQS, and asked the long arm quilter about her quilting policies. She rudely told me that she does NOT have time for any more projects, and just by the way she responded, I will not go back. So I drive 20 miles to the best quilt shop in the Bay Area .... EQB.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:13 AM

I like a clean well lit shop with friendly sales staff that greets you but doesn't hoover over you. A good go to shop for me is one that provides a place to sit usually in the book section as I cannot shop long without being able to sit down for a while. I hate shops that have a pet mascott. I love dogs but in my opinion pets do not belong in any shop unless it is a pet store. I have been in quilt store where customers ocassionally bring in their pet. I love my pets but not in fabric stores
Old 10-26-2011, 06:40 AM

Friendly staff, lots of variety, helpful staff, sale corner, and clean, clean, clean. I don't think that I would be going back to the shop you described.
Sue
Old 10-26-2011, 06:44 AM

I want friendliness first. There is a beautiful quilt shop here in town that has tons of wonderful fabric, classes, machines, BOMs, patterns, etc...but they aren't very friendly! Show an interest in what I'm buying, show an interest in ME as a person! Let me know you appreciate my business, don't just ring me up silently then tell me the total and be done.