Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LIttle Quilt Shop of Horrors >

LIttle Quilt Shop of Horrors

LIttle Quilt Shop of Horrors

Old 10-26-2011, 04:22 AM

So glad to hear there are other choices around there! One of these days I will go to visit my son in Clinton, NY and will be looking for fabric/quilt stores to visit!

I am so lucky here- I have 3 shops fairly close by and all are really great!
Old 10-26-2011, 04:39 AM

Musty is hard to get out of fabric, or old cat smells, but wouldn't it be fun to dig through the whole works and find a true "FIND"?

I"ve gone into many antique shops to the point of smelling just like it when I came out - almost had to throw away my clothes, but what a place it was - a walk back in times..
Old 10-26-2011, 05:02 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Those aren't quilt shops, those are somebody's fabric stash that got kicked out of the house.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:03 AM

I have been to a shop very similar to what you are describing. This one was in Wisconsin. Tons of fabric, but on the floor leaning against the shelves - could hardly walk thru without falling. It was winter in Wisconsina and I couldn't imagine the fabric was very clean being on the floor and people having to try to walk between the rows. Oh, there were also cats walking around.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

I would have walked out right away. Wouldn't want to bring any friends home. Happily all my local shops (all within 1 hours drive) are super friendly and helpful. Sorry you had such a bad experience:-(
Old 10-26-2011, 05:44 AM

Ooooh Myyyy! I've heard about shops like this. They are worse then the ones the you go in that are neat, clean, well lit and organized and the sales people are such snobs that you don't even get recognized as a customer who pays their wages!
Old 10-26-2011, 06:00 AM

Some shops like these two mentioned probably sell on line That is why I never shop on line unless it is a well know shop or has been recommened by someone here on board
Old 10-26-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
There's a LQS here that sounds similar, although not as bad. And truth be told, it's a GEM! It's a converted barn out in the sticks, has chickens wandering around the yard. It's a one-woman show, and that woman knows EVERY SINGLE BOLT that is in her shop. And if she doesn't have the fabric you're looking for, she can tell you who does and how to get there. She is constantly getting new shipments, so there are boxes being unpacked all the time, and bolts of fabric leaning up against the shelves EVERYWHERE. However, I love the place! It's a treasure hunt every day!
I know that store! Once you get past the clutter, it is a virtual GOLD MINE!!
Old 10-26-2011, 06:04 AM

Your going to laugh but most of those business stay in business due to.. you guessed it... the computer. They are able to sell their fabric on line.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:09 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by Peckish
There's a LQS here that sounds similar, although not as bad. And truth be told, it's a GEM! It's a converted barn out in the sticks, has chickens wandering around the yard. It's a one-woman show, and that woman knows EVERY SINGLE BOLT that is in her shop. And if she doesn't have the fabric you're looking for, she can tell you who does and how to get there. She is constantly getting new shipments, so there are boxes being unpacked all the time, and bolts of fabric leaning up against the shelves EVERYWHERE. However, I love the place! It's a treasure hunt every day!
Now that is a good place to go .. sometimes the outside is rough but the interior is good and one can learn from them !