Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed with quilt show judging >

Disappointed with quilt show judging

Disappointed with quilt show judging

Old 10-26-2011, 07:47 AM

Happens in our small town ALL of the time!

Originally Posted by dunngriffith
I used to show livestock and I had champion stock. But at this one show I kept getting put at the end of the line- last! Months later I was visiting with the judge of that show and he made the comment "I didn't know who you were" Thats why he put my animal down- He didn't know who I was!!!!! That should not have made any difference.
I don't know how quilt shows go but I do know there is a lot of politics involved it most types of shows.
Sorry for your experience. Smile and keep trying! You're good.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by glassnquilts
I entered three of my art quilts in a local small town show. There were 200 quilts and I did not expect to win, but the judge's comments were very critical of my binding. Very little was even said about the quilts themselves. I know it is a small town and maybe more traditional but it has really hurt my self confidence in my quilting. Anyone else had this experience.
I'm not qualified to judge a quilt show, but I have served as judge at speech contests, headline writing contests and other UIL contests. My daughter's piano students compete at contests each year just as she did when she was a student. I have learned that a whole lot of judging is purely subjective and has little or nothing to do with the merits of the work. On another day, with other judges, your quilts might have won best in show.

The only question you have to answer is this: "Do I think these quilts are beautiful and did I love making them?" If the answer is "Yes," put this experience down to--well--a not so positive experience and go on with glory in your heart.
froggyintexas
Old 10-26-2011, 07:56 AM

yes this has happened to me, i entered 3 quilts , one got first place and another the judge had told me my binding was to big for the size of the quilt and on the other i was told that my FMQ thread should of matched the color of my backing fabric , the back was white and my thread was red, but i thought it was cool looking! that was 4 years ago i was mad at first but then i realized it was for own good to learn from my mistakes because the following year i worked on those things and walked away with a first place and a second place in our state fair
Old 10-26-2011, 07:57 AM

i forgot to mention i was told the judges really look at the binding and are picky about how well it is put on
Old 10-26-2011, 08:11 AM

I think its all in the eye out the beholder and when you enter any judged show or competition you have to have your big girl britches on because you don't know what you are going to get as far as criticism and put the positive spin on it that we are always learning and getting better.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:19 AM

That is why I don't enter my stuff. I keep forgetting for every finger that is pointed at me, three are being pointed back at the person being critical. Your avatar is beautiful.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:33 AM

Maybe the Quilt Police live in small towns. I know there was one in the town where I used to live.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:35 AM

Yup yup. My first and last quilt show that I entered was like that. I spent so many hours matching points, and I think they were pretty good - judges said they were awful, and the rest of my quilt was okay. Very disappointing, but just made me realize I don't care what anyone else thinks and I don't enter quilt shows now
Old 10-26-2011, 08:36 AM

Quilt Police are in our own heads and keep us from enjoying what we do when we listen to them. What you need to do is stop listening to them! :thumbup:
Old 10-26-2011, 08:37 AM

I'm a utilitarian quilter so would never be entering any of them in a quilt show but, if I did, would take it as constructive criticism and just try to improve my skills. Never been one to compete against others because there's always someone out there better than me but I enjoy competing against myself. Each quilt is just a little bit better than my last one.