Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you look for in a quilt shop >

What do you look for in a quilt shop

What do you look for in a quilt shop

Old 10-26-2011, 09:29 AM

Friendly staff is the most important. I went into a quilt shop one evening when it was advertised as "bring your projects to work on together". I could hear the sewers in back chatting along with the owner. When I peeked in all talking ceased and everyone looked at me like I was intruding, even the owner. I've been in another quilt shop with the same kind of bring your projects evening and was made to feel so welcome with everyone inviting me to come see their projects and have a brownie. I don't know how some quilt shops continue with snotty attitudes. I'm quite sure that my money is as good as their friends'. And since my money's as good as their friends', I also get to decide where I spend my money. She didn't get any of it.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:53 AM

In "my" LQS there was dog poop in the floor.....not to mention dog hair balls everywhere....turned me off big time....sorry, I'll drive to wherever.......haven't been back in there since......
Old 10-26-2011, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Honeynga
In "my" LQS there was dog poop in the floor.....not to mention dog hair balls everywhere....turned me off big time....sorry, I'll drive to wherever.......haven't been back in there since......
I would have made a 'stink' about the dog poo! That is a unacceptable and the owner and every customer in there would have known it was there, nothing hush hush if I saw that.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:26 AM

I think I might of been the only "customer" in there.....I also think I retched and had to get out of there ! I've had animals my entire life and you have to deal with stuff like that...but not in a public place such as a LQS !
Old 10-26-2011, 11:06 AM

one of the shops on my shop hop is a smaller house w/small rooms, but a great selection... they also make up kits of all the quilts on display... w/fabric, pattern or book & backing fabric.. it's really crowded during the hop, but it is on that i will take a ride to a few times a year just to check out what they have that's new... and i usually buy it!
Old 10-26-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by QKO
Since we have our own online quilt shop, we don't do a lot of buying at other places, but we do visit a lot of LQS's just to see what they're doing and visit with the owners.

Things that make us feel good when we visit are:

Nice and clean and well-organized.
No bad smells - no tobacco smoke leaking out of the office.
Good selection of fabrics tastefully displayed.
Quilts displayed.
Homey atmosphere.
Nice classroom area.

Ditto for me!

In larger stores - long-arms and sewing machines to try out.

and most of all --- Friendly, helpful, but not overbearing service!
Old 10-26-2011, 11:44 AM

I want a friendly, clean shop with lots of examples on the walls. I want it to be well organized by type (batiks, Christmas, etc.) and color. I want baskets of patterns near the quilts hanging on the wall so I can think about making one. I want lots thread.

Examples of great shops here in Denver: Holly's Quilt Cabin and Snappy Quilts.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:50 AM

I was just at a LQS this morning and the first thing that I saw was very cramped quarters. Way too many things jammed into a small space and no room to browse without having to "excuse me" around 5 other customers. I know everyone has different likes when it comes to fabrics, but I love solids and very small prints, so I want to see lots of choices and grouped by color, not manufacturer. It makes picking out several shades of one color so much easier.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Debbie C
I want to be able to browse at my leisure without having a 'tail'.
AMEN!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by QKO
Since we have our own online quilt shop, we don't do a lot of buying at other places, but we do visit a lot of LQS's just to see what they're doing and visit with the owners.

Things that make us feel good when we visit are:

Nice and clean and well-organized.
No bad smells - no tobacco smoke leaking out of the office.
Good selection of fabrics tastefully displayed.
Quilts displayed.
Homey atmosphere.
Nice classroom area.
In larger stores - long-arms and sewing machines to try out.
and most of all --- Friendly, helpful, but not overbearing service!
I would also add LOTS OF SAMPLE QUILTS ON DISPLAY for inspiration and covetous thoughts...