Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT? >

Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT?

Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT?

Old 10-27-2011, 08:21 AM

I first started quilting when my brothers baby daughter died. Later I quilted when my children needed blankets and I had fabric.
NOW, I quilt for fun and do commission Memory photo qilts
Old 10-27-2011, 08:29 AM

I have always enjoyed looking at, reading about and seeing quilts. They bring back comforting memories of crawling under a ton of quilt at my g-mother's in the dead of winter. I have always knitted, crocheted and painted but I promised myself yrs ago that when I quit work and had the time I would learn to quilt like my g-ma did. My mom did not quilt, tho she made each of us girls one quilt before she died. They weren't anything fancy but she included squares g-ma had made and some made out of scraps from clothing she had made us when we were young. I now want to create and legacy to pass to my children and G-kids.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:30 AM

So, WHY do I quilt? All of the above and also for relaxation. I love giving and when I see peoples reaction when they receive a quilt or blanket from me...Quilting has saved my sanity..
Old 10-27-2011, 08:41 AM

Please don't feel sorry for me !!!!
I had 8 syblings an we lived in a two bedroom house ..We were so poor. WE only had coats that were donated to us from the church we attended ..I had a very loving family also..I didi'nt start sewing till we became empty nesters. I watch a Alex Anderson Show way back when it was free to watch her on TV. I never sewed before I got married in 1971.I flunked home economics because my mother took things apart and said this is wrong .....My Mother made clothes for us and others .We were not aloud to touch her machine .I did baby gowns for our babies .But after our three children left home . I got the empty nester syndrome and I decided my children and grand children will never go without a warm quilt .. Ive been quilting now for about 4 or 5 years .Our familys all have a quilt .And I will never forget the first time I slept under one ..It was the warmest feeling ,Like I found a home ..And i will quilt till the day I Die.Im not good ,But i make and i enjoy the warmth it gives me when I finish one .
Margaret
Old 10-27-2011, 08:47 AM

in the beginning it was cheaper to make quilts than buy baby blankets -and they are so much warmer-then it became my ME time.It has saved my husbands neck( I refuse to argue) on one or two occasions :roll: Since his passing its become my way to stay sane. And mostly I can't stand not doing something constructive.And even after quilting for all these years I still get excited about each new quilt and every step of it
Old 10-27-2011, 08:50 AM

I like the creativity, and I love the idea of leaving my loved ones a "hug' for when I am gone.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:10 AM

I've been quilting less than two years and never thought I had any talent except music and that's not very tangible. When I began this journey, little did I know it would take over my life, and I love it. We had a giant first snowfall yesterday so I began to teach my son (53) how to sew and he is a natural. No wonky seams for him. He wanted to make a pillow on his first try! Guess now I'll have to share my sewing room/time/machine.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by maryjoan
If you want to comfort someone who might be young, who might be ill, who might be aged and you have been given the ability to put fabric together and create a quilt with colors, with design, what a blessing it can be for warmth, softness, napping. For a child it becomes a buddy, for an elder it becomes a warm lap robe, for the one who has not been feeling well or is recooperating from surgery it becomes the vehicle to help heal. I remember a man telling me how it comforted him in the healing process after back surgery. Just keep quilting until you can no longer do it. God bless!!

MaryJoan, What beautiful words / thoughts. If everyone would have this attitude, the world would be a much better place. You dear lady have made my day, and restored my failing faith (at times) in mankind. Blessings and {{{{HUGS}}}} to you. Beckie
Old 10-27-2011, 09:23 AM

My DH asked me the other day "don't you get tired of sitting at the sewing machine"? NO WAY quillting, any form of sewing is what keeps me sane. After I finish a project I keep going back to it and just looking at the finished project.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:24 AM

Better and cheaper than a Shink!!!!!!!!!!