Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buttons, buttons!! >

Buttons, buttons!!

Buttons, buttons!!

Old 10-27-2011, 07:50 AM

Wow....so many good ideas for buttons; makes me want to START collecting!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:47 AM

I once sorted all my buttons by color & put in containers.---but I missed the sound of the buttons in the tin can they originally came from---dumped & mixed them all up & they went back in cans. don't you remember running your fingers through your Moms' button box or can ?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:54 AM

i too am making african print quilts. i had a coupla of friends bring me fabric back from ghana and nigeria plus i have ordered african print fabrics from the new york wholesale shops. never thought of the wooden buttons to enhance the quilts. i have plenty of vintage buttons but not wooden ones. i will keep on the lookout now.

Originally Posted by MissJMac
Originally Posted by Cyn
I am constantly collecting buttons. I make jewelry, pillows and decorate shirts with them! You might say that I have a bit of a button thing :)
Years ago I was into making "chunky" African Jewelry and I accummulated a whooooooole lot of wooden buttons in all sizes and earthy colors. Ran across them recently and pulled them out because I see a use for them in a line of African Quilts I'm working on now.
Use those buttons girl, just not on baby quilts:>)
Old 10-27-2011, 08:56 AM

i had mine separated by color in tackle boxes but then i dropped one of them soooo....... all of the light colored buttons are all mixed up in my see through tackle box, thousands of them. :-) never got into the tin cans.

Originally Posted by smitty
I once sorted all my buttons by color & put in containers.---but I missed the sound of the buttons in the tin can they originally came from---dumped & mixed them all up & they went back in cans. don't you remember running your fingers through your Moms' button box or can ?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:24 AM

Just pulled down 2 15 quart storage boxes full of buttons, most still on cards and most from pre 1980's, mothers and mine. I will NEVER use them all, and hate to toss them. Will be closely following replies on this one!!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:26 AM

Some great ideas. I too have jars of buttons. Sometimes I even use them!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by BarbaraA
Oh they would be cute in a glass jar lamp for a sewing room.

I have one my Mom made. I even opened it up to get a replacement clothe covered button she had made for a dress I still had.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:01 AM

The glass jar lamp filled with buttons is a great idea. My friend did that with her mother's old buttons and it was a real show stopper!
Old 10-27-2011, 11:28 AM

I also collect buttons, am willing to pay for them and shipping! I love color buttons they just brighten up a room!
Old 10-27-2011, 11:29 AM

If ssomeone has lots of buttons for sale PM me. I had a huge jar but there are 3 generations of us that scrapbook every Wednesday at my house and they have gone through a LOT of buttons. One of my granddaughters just make a pumpkin for Halloween with BOO "written" in buttons. Look on Pinterest and there are TONS of ideas!!!