Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand quilting >

hand quilting

hand quilting

Old 10-27-2011, 05:02 PM

I like to quilt without a hoop or fram. I have tried them and it alway seemed hard to relax. Without a hoop or fram, you can lean back in your easy chair and quilt away.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

It's your personal preference. I've done it both ways, depending on what I'm making. Whatever works for you.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:18 PM

It's all a matter of preference. I like to use a hoop. Mine is like a thick embroidery hoop @ 18 inches in circumference. it's about 2 inches thick. Bought it at Value Village for $1.99 check the thrift if your on a budget.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:56 PM

I almost always use a hoop or frame but lots of people don't. I actually can get my stitches much smaller with out a frame but the back goes wonky on me. I think you need to baste your sandwich really well. I also have found if I sit at a table and lay it on the table I do better. You'll find the best way for you, just give a try several ways. Just stay at it and you'll get better as you go.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:58 PM

I used to hand quilt without a hoop but I took a class and learned how to use it and now I use it all the time.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:02 PM

No hoop here - I like to just hold the quilt loosely in my lap. I've tried the pvc and others but prefer no hoop.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:04 AM

I use a gracie ez frame for hand quilting. I have never tried it without but have heard about others that do on this board.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by lfw045
The real trick to quilting without a frame, is to pin baste it or thread baste it VERY generously! Your layers WILL NOT shift and you WILL NOT have puckers because you can feel if there is something happening underneath and is easy to adjust to prevent puckers.

Just think about the freedom of not having to stop and rehoop or advance the quilt. You can just keep gettin' it....lol!

Everyone needs to try it just once and see if you don't like it better....I dare you!

Disclaimer: I do believe each to his own but just could not resist to throw out the challenge......lol!
Ok...I accept your challenge. I am sure I can find a quilt top, in my over abundance of "finished, waiting to be quilted" tops that I could do this with. I think I will try a baby quilt first. Someone else said to baste really well, so I will put it on the frame, baste it together (I will baste it in the frame as I am way too old to be doing that "crawling on the floor" thing!! Besides, I have put so many quilts on the frame, it doesn't take me long to do it anymore!) take it off the frame, and see how I like quilting without anything. I will keep you posted on my progress, and what I think of it's ease.......thanks for the challenge....I love a good challenge. :thumbup:
Old 10-28-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by mtkoldra
when you hand quilt do you always use a frame ? I am ready to hand quilt and I wonder if I can do it without it?
I use a frame for bed size quilts, but do smaller ones on my lap. Sometimes I have 2 going at once !
Old 10-28-2011, 04:22 PM

I hand quilt using a hoop. Never had a frame and so far even on queen size quilt I have not see the need for one. Kelela