Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Converting 70's slides to DVD~any info appreciated >

Converting 70's slides to DVD~any info appreciated

Converting 70's slides to DVD~any info appreciated

Old 10-28-2011, 04:03 AM

I had old movies put on DVDs from Harolds Photo. The only problem with the slides is that there isn't any talking on the DVD. My suggestion, if you have time, set up (or rent) a slide projector, get your movie camera and movie the slides. This way your DH or you can talk about what is on the slides. Trust me, I have photobooks that my mom put together that I don't have a clue who these people are. I ended up throwing most of the away because there was no one alive who could tell me. (I kept the pictures of great grandparents, etc, but people who were friends of my mom and dad, I didn't even know why we had their picture in the photo album.) Just a thought.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:10 AM

I bought a gizmo at Walmart for less than $100 that transferred my old slides and negatives to my computer. Then, if I had wanted to, I could have put them on a DVD (buy a DVD you can write to). I chose to make 'scrapbook' pages for my kids with my slides. They were speechless when the opened their scrapbooks. They had not seen these photos for years since I no longer had a projector to show them.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:44 AM

We had ours done through Kodak. they did a great job.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:53 AM

we found a box of slides of my brother-in-law when he was in vietnam he has since passed away we took them to Sam's Club here in Mi. I don't know if they are nation wide or not but they took the slides and put them on a dvd the cost was not very much since my brother-in-law never talked about the war to anyone he married 5 times had only 1 child she was never close to her dad I think because his head was messed up from vietnam we gave her the dvd and she cried and was so happy to see her dad when he was young and now she said that's how she would remember him we made copies of the dvd and gave them to the whole family very little cost maybe you can check it out
Old 10-28-2011, 06:34 AM

Depending on who does this...there is a huge difference in quality. A friend used a video store and was unhappy with the quality. He then used Wolf Camera, who sends everything to Hollywood technicians. Excellent results, but costly.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:46 AM

We have done this in the past. It is part of our business. It will be a costly venture for you. We charge $30 per hour, so depending on how many you have and the company you choose to do this and their capabilities all figure into what the final cost would be. Good luck. Google search slides to DVD format, I'm sure you will find something.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:14 AM

I had really good luck taking my slides to WalMart's photo section. They scanned all the slides onto CD's and I could pick and choose to set up my own slideshow. It wasn't that expensive either, about 23 cents a slide.

As far as the quality, I had a 24 x 30 print made of one of the slides and the picture was really, really sharp.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:05 AM

Waladopa, thank you, thank you, thank you! I have been trying all week to find someone who would try and develop some old film from 1969 I found when going through some of my parents things last week. I know one is from my 12th birthday party and I so want to hopefully be able to recover those as well as the other roll. Bless you for the info. I have already made contact with this company and getting the film ready to send them. This sounds like a great company. The only other place I found wanted $90 whether the film was any good or not plus a 6 month to one year waiting period to get anything back.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:32 AM

What a timely post. My dad has hundreds of slides from his world travels in the '70s and '80s and he wants to do the same thing. Thanks! I'll pass this info. on to him.

Suzanne
Old 10-28-2011, 09:54 AM

My Walmart photo department does this. Good luck.