Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-28-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by Candace
I've not fully decided to sell my green 319 yet and the price. My company just left today. But, it comes with the full set of cams. They usually go for like $25-$35 on ebay.
I would not sell my 319 it is a great machine and will do many things I want it to do. I really like to treadle it.
Glenn

Yes, but I have two
:thumbup:
Old 10-28-2011, 12:23 PM

Great job Candice!
Jan on 446
Old 10-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

Wow, what a transformation, you did a really good job on that, Candace
Old 10-28-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
I've not fully decided to sell my green 319 yet and the price. My company just left today. But, it comes with the full set of cams. They usually go for like $25-$35 on ebay.
I would not sell my 319 it is a great machine and will do many things I want it to do. I really like to treadle it.
Glenn

Yes, but I have two
:thumbup:
If you have two then thats ok. You did a great clean up here. It shines like new
Glenn
Old 10-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

here is another interesting place to visit...
http://thecostumersmanifesto.com/ind...EWING_MACHINES
Old 10-28-2011, 01:29 PM

I bought this 301 locally in the table with cradle. I've removed it from the table and am trying to sell that on CL and just keep the machine. It needed a LOT of cleaning and love and the nicotine just ran off of it... A ton of elbow grease and she's running beautifully!
Wow, Candace, great job cleaning up that poor 301.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by melinda1962
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8768015

This is a singer 301 zigzagger. There is another one as well without the cams.
I saw that and thought about bidding on it for my 301, but decided I probably would never use it, so I passed on it.
Oh - we are supposed to use them? They're not just for display??
Hahaha!! If I had any more room for displaying anything it probably wouldn't be a zigzagger!! My sewing room is packed!! My "displays" are lapping over into the dining room and living room, and although DH is not complaining (yet!), he does raise eyebrows whenever I add anything else!! We're supposed to be saving $$ for DS's wedding in March...I'm not good at saving!! I like to spend...so, it's a challenge!!
:-)
I hear the challenge. Our younger daughter is getting married in April....trying to save, but the machines all seem to know my name....Melinda, save me!! is what I hear when I see one that needs a hand. And when I think they are past saving, I see the miracle transformations on here, and feel the need to try. Yall are bad influences. Maybe I can talk my daughter into a sewing machine themed wedding. LOL
Hahahaha!!! That would be quite a theme!!

I did put the idea of using my vintage machines for display at our guilds quilt show in January, and the committee thought it would be a great idea!! So, I can get DH involved by having him set up the little display vignettes with each machine!!
Old 10-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

At any rate, I want to share with you how Glen helped me figure this one out.

I have two 15 clones that are breaking upper thread - one has that needle bar turned wrong the other will stitch by hand crank or will stitch a few with power and then break. I'm wondering if the tension is working right. Maybe the pin. I'm thinking after supper I might swap the plate if it will go on.

Make sure the feed dogs on the clones are tight and not sloppy in movement.

I would concentrate on the tension of the bobbin and check the bobbin case other than that I am at a lost. But it is usually something simple and that is the hardest problem to solve. I wonder if the needlebar is not set to high or to low. Is there any burrs under the foot?

Thanks, I will be checking. I'm thinking about trying the bobbin case that I know works out of the other machine.

I put in a bobbin case I know works. Nadda. I pulled off the pressure foot and sanded off some good burrs. Then for good measure I used a foot off another machine that I know works. Nadda. I've played with the upper tension. Nadda. I do know the upper tension is working though. I can see it move and I can feel changes. I checked the needle hole - no burrs. This is the second machine in a row that does not appear to have been used much. The face is torn up on each one - probably from the foot control rattling around inside in transit. I pulled out the hook and cleaned up that area. I am wondering if it is something going around somewhere that I'm missing. You are right it is usually something incredibly small. I have 4 clones. One was a neighbor lady's wedding present back when those were new. It is a Sears Commander. She never learned to sew on electric- she preferred a treadle - it is virtually a new machine and sews perfect. Then I have a rescue from a flood. It is missing a tension and has a bit of rust in places. I should put a face place on it and see if it sews. Then I have two more I found in the last couple weeks. These both are breaking upper thread after about an inch. Makes me wonder a lot.

Is the upper thread or lower thread breaking or is it both? This should give us a clue to where the problem is

upper only is breaking. The needle is sliding down on the foot

I am wondering if you don't have a bad hood since the upper thread is breaking. Bent needle, try a larger size needle, upper tension to tight. I am running out of fixes here.

I can't imagine timing would be off on both of them???

You never know. People do try to pull things through. I'm wondering If I have a bent foot bar on one - the foot is crooked on the feed dogs and the needle hits the foot sort of.

What do you mean sliding down on the foot. The clamp is not holding the needle or is it touching the foot on the down.

The clamps are on tight. The needle touches the foot and the hole on the way down.

I had the needles in backwards on both machines. They now work!!! WOW these are nice. At least they are clean and there are no burrs on the feet now. Next the one needs a big sticker removed.

It is always the simple things that get us into trouble. I have been going over 40 pages of repair notes and about to pull my hair out. I am very glad you have found the problem. I was running out of repair notes. Great work out today huh!! enjoy your machines.
glenn

Thanks so much Glen. I always learn from the stupid things though. I should make some notes on this - you were excellent. This is one I should have known. I think I've used way too many 403s of late. NOW, I remember the old repair once man said the needle curf goes toward the bobbin and for some reason I managed to listen to someone say the needle is shaped like the plate and should go that way. The repair man was right. I should have turned that needle yesterday.

That is perfectly alright I needed to refresh my repair tech and this was a good day.

I believe I learned a WHOLE lot - THANK YOU. I feel like you are a good tutor.

You are most welcome, I just made suggestions you did the work. Thank you again and if you need anymore help you know where I am. Now relax and play with those nice machines.
Glenn

Well, DUMB me. I've been racking my pea brain and driving Glen nutty too trying to figure out how come my newly acquired 15 clones both break stitches. Well, DUH - I had the needles in backwards. The needles would hit something and break the thread. Drove me nutty. Now that they are working they are VERY nice machines. What fun when you think you know what you are doing EH??? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Old 10-28-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by redmadder
Thank you Wendt. That is my machine. This one is in a somewhat ornate cabinet but the finish on the machine is crumbling off the bed. The decals on the upper part are intact but it will take a lot of work to get her cleaned up. All her parts work just fine. So it is New Home and not White. Thank you.
redmadder, you are so welcome. I was so surprised, since I don't think I'd ever heard of Ruby other than remembering seeing that craigslist ad posted by the local sew shop. I wonder if there are any other Ruby-ists on here?

Hey now, One thing I'm really looking for... is a Canadian RAYMOND Treadle, that has the Beaver irons. Anyone have one? Any of our VSMS folks in Maine, NH, Canada... if you ever find one. PM me!!!!
I have a Ruby, but haven't used her yet. She was another junk heap find, but looking good now. I was told she was probably a Davis made machine.

Texas Jan

Texas Jan
Jan, that Ruby is really pretty. I've seen a few, and most of them are in much worse condition than yours. Good job cleaning her up!!
Thanks, Janice.

Texas Jan
Old 10-28-2011, 04:13 PM

I bought this 301 locally in the table with cradle. I've removed it from the table and am trying to sell that on CL and just keep the machine. It needed a LOT of cleaning and love and the nicotine just ran off of it... A ton of elbow grease and she's running beautifully!
Now THAT is a big difference. She looks great!!!
Texas Jan