Pacific Pintos Foal Watch

Old 07-25-2009, 06:30 PM

Just found this thread. I can hardly see through the tears. So sad. :(
Old 07-25-2009, 06:43 PM

No, Joanne, it's not fair and never will be. Hate that part of life!

Just remember...come back here and let us know/updates about the mare that's in the stall. Some of us are watching and I can bet your number is already on speed dial for some. Just ask Kaykay, she'll tell you. :) :)
Old 07-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Power Poster

I hate when life leaves us more questions than answers. Yes please keep us posted on the next mare. I will be popping in and out to check but after a few I know that when labor starts it is very fast. You and Precious are still in my thoughts and prayers.
Sharon
Old 07-26-2009, 04:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pacific Pintos
As her caretaker, I wish I could have done something.
I was here at the ranch 24/7 for five weeks. On call for her since Father's Day in June.
Just not fair.

Joanne, I had the good fortune to be off for about a week before Precious foaled. I had the laptop on all the time, even set it up in my bedroom! :wink: :roll: I saw how you took care of her. I knew that you were watching all night too, just catching winks here and there, and I know that sometimes people called you with false alarms, further interrupting any sleep you managed to catch. And I was watching as everything happened. Just as I was going to call, I saw your shadow on cam and knew you were there. I saw that you did everything you could and that you had others there with you who were trying everything they could, also.

And I know that none of that really makes you feel better, that you believe that because Precious was yours, and your responsibility, that there must have been something that you could have done to have changed the outcome.

I know this because I am a critical care nurse, and have been a pediatric critical care nurse. Death is a common occurrence, and there are many times I've felt that if only we had done X instead of Y, or if only Z had worked,......... Sometimes I think I've shrouded as many kids as I've diapered. When I first started Peds ICU, a very wise MD told me "Fair is a man-made concept. In life, the only real definition of FAIR is a place with a midway and rides that sells popcorn and cotton candy". And he was right.

That being said, I've read all the responses on the MiniHorseForum, and have been absolutely astounded at the posts of similar incidents, even this year. From what I have been reading, if this is the first mare you've ever lost in 16 years, it is obvious that you are doing something very right.

I know that this last foaling will be the hardest yet as you wait, just because of what happened to Precious. When that foal is born, and all of us watching give a big cheer, I know that you will feel it in your heart too.

Gai

Old 07-26-2009, 04:52 AM

It is every breeders worst nightmare and my heart goes out to Joanne. Sending good wishes that the rest of your foalings go easily and happily!

Kay
Old 07-26-2009, 05:46 AM
Banned

I'm just sick to read about mom & baby (just found this post)
I'm so very sorry :cry:
Old 07-26-2009, 03:31 PM

Gai thank you for your response. You are right as her caretaker and friend I feel responsible for everything that happened, from deciding to breed her on and I took that responsibility seriously.

I knew when I broke that sac and felt the first time that this was THE WORST possible position.

The key to a well run breeding facility is management, management, management.

This time my luck just ran out. A friend of mine said after I checked the position I looked up into the camera with such pain and just shooked my head no.

To wait so long and then have not only a dead foal, but to loose the mare is excrusiatingly painful.

We learn to realize a dead foal is possible, just not the mare.

Thank you for your very kind words.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:08 AM

Joanne...just know that we all are sad for you.
We love your horses,,,,,ok, ANYONES horses as much as the owners do.
And to let us into your lives to actually see the foals being born is just awesome!
I'm just hoping I get back to the states in time, get unpacked and am able to get to a certain farm to see it in person! Just need to get my "water boiling skills" in order :) :)
Old 07-27-2009, 03:09 PM

Joanne--I'm so glad you found this post and all the support you have here....

Karla
Old 07-27-2009, 04:19 PM

I am so sorry to hear you lost them both. What a sad day! My heart goes out to you.
I hope the next foaling goes about uneventful and everyone's healthy!!