Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up? >

Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up?

Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up?

Old 10-29-2011, 05:29 AM

4-H was a wonderful part of my life growing up....
Old 10-29-2011, 05:36 AM

Without 4-H, I would have never known how to use a sewing machine or make clothes. I don't make any clothes now, but all of the skills transferred over to my current passion for quilting. I served as a Junior Leader and it was a lot of fun to meet with others in that kind of social situation.

I was in 4-H clubs for Gardening, Horsemanship, and Houseplants and also learned how to knit from a 4-H leader. For me, it was an invaluable and very worthwhile experience.

A few years ago, one of the fabric companies printed yardage devoted to 4-H. I have not used what I bought, so far, but I was happy to purchase some of it.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:47 AM

4H and Girl Scouts for me, both help give young folks life experence thay may not get from home life, just my opinion, but I think youth groups like this are an important part of growing up.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:53 AM

I was in 4H for 10 years. Took Sewing every year. Branched out a little with Crafts and Electricity at times, but never dropped sewing. We sewers met about once a month, or more frequently if needed, at our leader's house. Another leader would bring her sewing machine (in its cabinet) so more of us could sew at one time.

One of the wasy 4H benefitted me was in Jr. High Home Economics class. While others were sewing look-alike projects, with their every action pre-approved by the teacher (to prevent things like sewing a seam with right side to wrong side facing) we 3 4H girls had individually selected projects comensurate with our skills. Mrs. Akers periodically came over to see how we were doing, but we just sewed until we needed her help. In the 9th grade she guided me through a wool suit with horsehair inner facings and self-made lining. I loved her for giving me some independence.

When my daughter was 4H age, we were living overseas in Japan and did not have 4H available, so it was Girl Scouts for her.

4H is a great organization.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:03 AM

I was in 4H when I was growing up and taught when I was older. One grand daughter is in horsemanship and one shows a beef. I think it is a wonderful program for young people. They have to learn how to give and take. They learn how to loose as well as how to win. Every child needs a few years in the program.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:11 AM

4-H is a program for mostly rural areas where kids can learn animal husbandry, gardening, and girls can learn sewing and homemaking skills. Some 4-H groups function well in urban areas, but primarily it is for rural areas and it is a shame that the groups are being phased out.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:15 AM

I took 4-H only one year. I can't say I learned much. Maybe I should have stayed in it longer. My kids do 4-H and I am really disappointed. There are no project leaders, for the most part. My kids are interested in things like sewing and woodworking, but you are on your own. If you don't know someone who knows how to do the project and is willing to teach your child-GOOD LUCK. The people at the extension office are clueless about what you need to do. We do livestock and there is very little guidance for that. Those who know don't want to share because it would put them or their kids at a disadvantage. Record books are never checked or required. For the most part the kids who win buy their livestock to win. They do very little work. My husband and I are trying to change that and require more of our kids and become involved.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:26 AM

You bet! I grew up in the country (didn't most of us over 50 yrs old?) and 4-H was the focal of our lives. I begged so hard when I was 6 (you had to be 7 to be in 4-H) to have an animal my dad finally "sold" me a pig to raise and my older brother was bummed that he had to carry the slop down to it because I was too little to lift the bucket! I raised, in the 4-H program, sheep, pigs and steers, selling them all off at the end, crying right beside the big 16 year olds when I sold my lambs (they are like house pets!).

Also learned to sew in 4-H and sewed my kids "good" clothes until they were about 12 (boys' as well as girls' outfits). Made my own clothes until I began teaching when I was about 30 and simply didn't have the time anymore. After retiring I fell into quilting.

Oddly, when my kids were growing up we lived about 80 miles away, over the Cascades, and there was no 4-H program at all. So, both DH and I ended up as scout leaders. That was fun and good for the kids, but the life long learning was totally different. Keeping records in 4-H was really important, and juggling the cost of purchase and upkeep really did help prepare one for life, as did the selling of our animals!
Old 10-29-2011, 06:27 AM

I did 4-H growing up, I entered things in the county fir and won ribbons, sometimes.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:30 AM

I loved the idea of being a 4-H member but that is all one can say about it - I was a member; we had very little guidance when doing a project; if it did not get taught at home - tough! The only thing that sticks in my mind was the time we made a bracelet out of copper wire - learned how to make curly cues out of it - and then intertwined them to the size that would fit out wrists... now out of 5 years of 4-H - that is all I got - sorry, but although many had much more help than that - I was not in the "clique" - thus it was a do at home as best I could; also, I could not go to the fair like other kids did - not in the realm of my parents thinking; someone else took care of my pens of ducks, chickens, etc. My sewing in home-ec got me through my sewing project. I got a blue ribbon on most - but it was mainly ME doing it - not a lot of prompting; I listened and got hints here and there - sad to say all this, but true none the less.

My grandkids are in 4-H now - and they are doing great - but there is great leadership also - but have to give a lot of credit to my d-i-l as she is one of the leaders and is so good at working with children and is a craft person, so can tackle about anything.