Still rather shocked

Old 10-29-2011, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy
Perhaps is was her personal desperation talking. Maybe there is no one out there for her. It is not your responsibility to personally help her, but maybe she thinks you might be able to help to show her other solutions. You have been through a lot and perhaps she sees great strength in you.
I was thinking the same thing. I know I would have to be pretty desperate to ask Anyone for money. But IF I had it to spare I would want to know what it was for. And have some kind of collateral.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:46 AM

I guess I would not have called the mortgage broker if I were SELLING a house. She is involved with the buyer of a house, not the seller. If you sell your house, the realtor and lawyers will make sure that the funds due you as the seller are are applied to your outstanding mortgage which is cleared before title passes to the buyer. This happens at the closing of the sale.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:47 AM

"or I could take out a loan and you could co-sign for me, but I'd pay the payments"

oh and that part - NEVER ever do that...
if she doesn't make the payments, YOU get hounded
if she doesn't make the payments, it goes on YOUR credit report

ask us how we know - my DH co-signed for a car for our married daughter.... never again..

We had somebody ask to use OUR credit card to rent a car - what?? Our answer was a resounding NO..

Years later there was a Judge Judy about just such a thing..
if the person wrecked the car who is responsible? The credit card owner..
if the person fails to turn in the car who is responsible? The credit card owner...
You get the idea..

It doesn't mean someone is hard-hearted or 'mean' just because they won't loan money to acquaintances or ever virtual strangers - it means they are wise with THEIR money.
So don't let anybody try to 'guilt' you into second guessing your reply!!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:49 AM

My goodness, people like this never cease to amaze me, & there are plenty of them out there, trust me! Since my DH retired, we have run into a fair share of them too. Good for you, to not even contemplate doing that. Too bad she isn't still working, you could report her to the company. Very distasteful behavior, to say the least. I wander how many others, like yourself, that she worked with in the past, she has hit up for a loan also! The nerve!!!!...
Old 10-29-2011, 05:54 AM

I think I would look into my own investments to make sure my money WAS invested. Have another broker transferr you monies to their company, like Morgan and Keegan. ( that's who handles mine)
Old 10-29-2011, 05:55 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad that your husband had provided for you and the kids. He sure didn't include this women in his plans.

These are bad times and drives some people to do things that they would never think of doing. Pray for her.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Country1
Originally Posted by tuesy
Today I received a call from my mortgage broker that I've known for about 8 years. We used her when we bought this house.
Anyways, we're not chummy, or even best friends. We say "Hi" if we see each other in town, etc.
With the passing of my DH, the kids and I were thinking of moving, so I called her and my real estate agent (the one who sold us this house) to see what the market was like and what I would have to do to the house to sell it. I was just feeling the market and kicking around ideas.. which they both knew.
After all the comps were in and taking alot of other things into consideration, I decided that right now isn't the time to sell.

Well today I get a call from my mortgage broker. She says she just calling to "chit chat" and see how we're doing. Asks about me, the kids, talked about me staying put for awhile, etc..
Then she says "I have something to ask you and don't know how to ask other than to just come out with it". I said ok hesitantly..then she says "I'm wanting to know if you could let me borrow $2800 and I'll pay you back or I could take out a loan and you could co-sign for me, but I'd pay the payments" She didn't tell me what the money was for, other than it was "really important" that she get this money. Oooh and she's not working either..

Of course I'm not going to give her any money or co-sign, but still.. How can people be so gusty or insensative to the fact that I didn't win the lottery, I lost my husband who made sure that he provided for the kids and I??? I just don't get it..

OMG!... I'm at a loss for words. I can't believe someone would have the nerve! I would be tempted to report her to the mortgage brokers board!...
I am very SORRY for your loss, prayers and blessings to you and your family!...
Mmmm...maybe that's why she's "not working" !!!
Old 10-29-2011, 06:04 AM

Glad you are not planning on giving her any $.
I'm telling you, people are in trouble and it's going to get much worse. Thankful your husband left you okay. I"m sorry for your loss.
Seems like I have a big sign on MY butt that says, "She has more money than I do, so she needs to give me some of hers..." The thing is, we don't have a lot of $, but people sure think we do. Everybody wants something. I can't tell you how many times I"ve been burned. The last time, the gal got down to where she owed me only $800 and I'd asked her to clean my house, even though I didn't need the help really, it was a luxury and the only way I knew I'd get any of it back... She said, after one attempt and I PAID her for that attempt instead of taking it off the balance cause it was her sons birthday, bLAH, BLAH, BLAH.... she say, can you pay me 50 and i"ll bring my mom and we'll take off 50?!?! SO, what's the point?!?! People are lazy. When I loaned this gal the money to pay her two behind mortgage payments, I didn't negotiate , just loaned her the money expecting and trusting that she'd pay it back. UNBELIEVABLE> this gal's, like so many , forgot down the road after it was all said and done and just wanted more, more, more.
My point is, sometimes you can't help people and all you are doing is putting a band aid on their problems. They have to fix their problems. Sometimes people need to just hit bottom NOW instead of prolonging the inevitable. I'm sorry, but I don't have much patience for this sort of thing because I"ve been raked over the coals by SO MANY, including my own children. I'm so sick of my phone only ringing when somebody wants something.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:05 AM

Some people can be pretty crude. If you have caller i.d. don't answer the phone the next time she calls.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:05 AM

Some people! Just crazy.