Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up? >

Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up?

Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up?

Old 10-29-2011, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I don't know what a 4 H is.. so I'm going to say no. :)
If/When you read the thread, you'll get a good understanding from the posts and links as to what 4-H is all about!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:57 AM

we had a 4H fashion show. I made a flowered mini dress with matching head scarf and bag. My mother was a wonderful seamstress. I always sat beside her and talked to her. I wish more of her talent would have rubbed on to me. that was my first sewing project.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by PB from MN
Like others on this board I was in 4-H, as was my husband, and my sons. I have been a 4-H volunteer and I still am a 4-H judge. 4-H is one of the best youth development programs around. 4-H is not just the county fair, though that is often the favorite aspect.

Not only do the youth learn project areas, they learn public speaking, Parlimentary procedures, builds confidence, they learn to rationalize their choices, demonstrations, how to talk to the judges, teaches responsibility, and the 4-Her often mentors the younger 4-Her's and youth who are taking a project area they may not be familiar with. Minnesota is facing budget cuts too and unfortunetly 4-H is not getting the funding it deserves.

To this day I cannot hear the Pledge of Allegiance without wanting to go into the 4-H Creed.

Yes, I am a huge supporter of 4-H. I also encourage members of this board to mentor youth in all areas but especially in the home ec areas. This is not being offered in many schools anymore and as 4-H judge I see so many youth who do not have anyone to teach them and they want to learn so badly.

So yes, not only did 4-H help me as a youth it has helped me as an adult.
Excellent reply! excellent! I forwarded your reply to my SIL, suggesting they get their children in it. IT is so wonderful , you've made me remember why...
Old 10-29-2011, 08:02 AM

ahh I read it all. I was a Girl Scout. There was no 4H where I grew up.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PB from MN
Like To this day I cannot hear the Pledge of Allegiance without wanting to go into the 4-H Creed.
Yea for you! I now have visions of good little Americans standing there with hands over their ♥s, pledging to their nation followed by The 4-H Pledge!!! :lol:

:shock: I can't believe that this thread has gotten to Page 5 without any mention of the 4-H Motto .....
"Learn To Do By Doing"

It served us well in 4-H .... and continues to serve us well with our quilting, and in life, in general!
Old 10-29-2011, 08:15 AM

Yes, I was in a sewing club for about 5 years. Just recently met my 4H leader at my Mom's nursing home. She's a nurse there. So happy to reunite with her and told her about my quilting obsession.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:15 AM

I was in 4-H one year, but didn't care for it. What I loved was Home Economics. I learned to sew clothing following a pattern, design floor plans, the proper way to set a table, etc. I already knew how to cook, but I did learn how to make good gravy and I learned about nutrition. Sorry to say, most small schools are doing away with Home-Ec classes.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:19 AM

It was such a great program...still remember the leaders, social get togethers, grange fair exhibits and "round Ups". I started out at 10 years with the sewing and then enrolled in the foods and agricultural programs. My brothers competed in the insect collecting category at Penn State and raised capons. I also did the photography and indoor/outdoor plants category. My sister and a neighbor friend raised a goat. The meetings involved show and tells which helped with speaking in front of others. There shoulc be more programs like this....not everyone can excel at sports, but one can in any of the 4H programs.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

i never heard of 4-H or girl scouts or any of those type organizations. i just went outside and played. I wonder what neighborhoods they were in? not mine.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:48 AM

I joined 4-H when I was 9. I did all the projects from sewing,cooking and raising a calf. Club leader and work for the extension service until I got married. A lot of good memories from those years. Showing animals, entering your exhibits and waiting to see if you won a ribbon. Good days.