Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what to do with old text books and other books? >

what to do with old text books and other books?

what to do with old text books and other books?

Old 10-29-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by kriscraft99
My brother passed away 3 1/2 years ago and my sister-in-law has started going through some of his items. He had a whole room full of books (he was a nuclear engineer). He read from sun up to sun down. She isn't sure what to do with all of these books. He was 55 so some are quite out-of-date. She is thinking of sending them to the local recycling center. Is there any where else?

Kris
www.betterworldbooks.com
takes old/used books. They were started by some kids who needed college books and couldnt find any used, and also, saw books being tossed. They promote world literacy. sharet
Old 10-29-2011, 03:34 PM

There is a place here in Mass. that is "Got Books". They take everything. My son is an avid reader and amasses a lot of books. I know they they have an "800" number. I don't have it right now but if you google it to see if it is anywhere near you. They pick up at the house. You just put them outside. Hope they are near you or if not maybe something similar.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by MsSewer
There is a place here in Mass. that is "Got Books". They take everything. My son is an avid reader and amasses a lot of books. I know they they have an "800" number. I don't have it right now but if you google it to see if it is anywhere near you. They pick up at the house. You just put them outside. Hope they are near you or if not maybe something similar.
I would bet they recycle a lot of books.

Let's face it, there are a lot of books that NEED to be thrown away or recycled. Your local library or book sale, does NOT want a 1960's HS algebra textbook, old encyclopedias, old RD condensed books, or old harlequin romances. Trust me on this. I have been involved in a lot of library book sales and there is a ton of stuff left over that NO ONE wants. The library has to pay to have it taken to the dump. I have personally filled up a dumpster with old paperbacks after a sale, where the last hour of the sale, everything was FREE.

That being said, there may be a lot of highly technical books if he was a nuclear engineer, they may be worth a LOT of money on Amazon. Look some of them up, I am talking 100's of dollars EACH here.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:47 PM

Also, please go thru each book. Were any signed by the author, first edition, leather bound? My cousin, 71 just died in May, and I am executor, and trust me, she had money in hers. And notes, like "look in the socks for money" which I did, no money was there. A friend just donated 10,000 books to the local library of his Mother's, sold 7,000 leather, first edition, and signed, and he still has 7,000 or more to go. His Mother's estate will continue for months to come!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:34 PM

Oops! Thanks for the correction! :-)
Old 10-29-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
Many used book stores will take them and give you credit to buy other books. Or...you could donate them to the local library or college.
Or the local senior center. Ours takes donated books and sells them for $.25 as a fundraiser.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:19 PM

Try the local library. Ours takes all kinds of books. they sell the duplicates or the ones they don't want and make money for the library to use. We call it "Friends of the Library".
Old 10-29-2011, 07:16 PM

Donating them to library is a great idea! Actually, that is where I look first when I want to buy a book. Our library has a few book sales a year but they also have a little bookstore that is open a couple of days a week. It's always exciting to find a treasure for $2 or $3!!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:30 PM

Your local library wolud more than likely love to have them.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:36 PM

1- offer them to local tech school or other school who has engineering where students would liketo get ahold of these. 2- check with your local library in our area the library as well as a private group have huge sales 1 time a year where everything is 1.00 each
3- donate them to a local thrift store