Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Material needed >

Material needed

Material needed

Old 10-29-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by Grandma58
You might want to leave it the same size, which seems to me to be a perfect first cuddle up in quilt.
Maybe the mother is complaining so loudly because she can not afford the fabric and a future fabric stash might be an idea to consider?

Originally Posted by Plumtree
Thank you all, glad to know I am not out of my mind here. Math is not my strong suit so when mine gets questioned I get nervous.
I will not change the pattern because I would then have to change it for the rest of the class, which isnt' fair to me or the girls that have all ready purchased fabric. I realize now that this lap quilt will be a bit big and the next group it will be sized down a bit, I'm learning too. I just didn't like the way I felt after reading this email and wanted to make sure my math and thinking were on the same path.

Happy Quilting
Tammy
If she cannot afford it she should be honest and say that!
True!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:35 PM

The bad news is that you need even MORE fabric for binding!
Old 10-30-2011, 03:05 AM

I guess what I am asking is this, is it too much fabric. I am allowing for boo boo's and I know there will be some extra but didnt' think it was a ton extra, definatly not enough to complain about. Would 2 yrds be more than enough, I just don't want them to run out.
Thank for your help

Tammy[/quote]

...quilting is not an inexpensive endeavor. I hate to use the word "hobby" because it certainly does not "fit". Those who do not quilt are always appalled at the expense. Piece backings when you can - that's how I use up my stash. Even quality muslin is expensive nowadays.
I'm toying with the idea of teaching simple quilting skills for those ladies in the church I attend if they're interested....only I'm going the much cheaper route - a table runner.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:27 AM

Did you give her a coupon? I have to play devils advicate here. I have 5 children and there are certain school things I hate paying for. Examples: science fair projects, memory sticks for computer classes. Each one of those costs me $10-20 per kid. I have 3 of them very close in age 2 are twins so when it rains it pours! I can undstand why a non quilting parent has issues with spending money on fabric. You should go about it a different route and explain it in a way where the parents focus is off the cost and on her childs participation in the project. Maybe that will help and I love to hear more kids are being taught to quilt!!
Old 10-30-2011, 04:35 AM

Maybe the child's family just cannot afford the cost of the fabric and thats why she is complaining...People who do not quilt think fabric is cheap...give her some options as to where she can get the amount of fabric needed ie clearance at walmart or joann's...
Old 10-30-2011, 04:39 AM

I learned how to really sew and read patterns in high school. We had to provide our own material for projects. Those few dollars have provided a lifetime of enjoyment and sanity. I hear all the time from others,"I wish I knew how to sew." It seems it is becoming a lost art.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:47 AM

Don't let this incident bother you! You know what you're doing, to be ready to teach kids to quilt tells me that you've been quilting for many years. The quilt police status doesn't belong exclusively to quilters. Some parents will contest everything the teacher ask. I taught sewing for 10 years in 35 different schools, and I volunteered ifor 25 years in a women' association. Stand by what tou say, do it your own way, you are in charge. Pay special attention to that chilld, you are not aware of what was said front of her,she may be worried that you wll reproach her not having the required fabric or have an attitude, Quilting is fun , she must have fun!
Old 10-30-2011, 05:22 AM

Did a minimal bit of figuring but I think you are on the conservative side with your measurement because many fabs are only 40-42 wide.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:27 AM

I think this parent is being hard to get along with but maybe she just does not have the money for it. If this be the case then myself or someone else can donate it for her.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:28 AM

I just finished a queen size quilt and it took 8 yards of backing material. So go figure ........