Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Material needed >

Material needed

Material needed

Old 10-30-2011, 06:44 AM

Tell that mother to check the answers on this board. And thank her for her valuable suggestion, and for volunteering to teach the class with you. Tell her to let you know when she is available for planning time?
Old 10-30-2011, 07:05 AM
dls

Explain your reasoning but don't change your plans unless she can come up with a sure plan for less fabric.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Plumtree
I am teaching a begining quilting class for my homeschool co-op. We are for their final project they are doing a 4 patch lap quilt that should end up at 64x64. I asked the parents to provide 3 1/4 yds. of fabric for the back, one parent has become upset with me saying that this is too much fabric and I am being wastful with others money. This fabric will also be a 4 in. border for the quilt top. I am assuming that the fabric will not be wide enough and will have to be cut in half then sewn back together to make it wider, does that make sense.

I guess what I am asking is this, is it too much fabric. I am allowing for boo boo's and I know there will be some extra but didnt' think it was a ton extra, definatly not enough to complain about. Would 2 yrds be more than enough, I just don't want them to run out.
Thank for your help

Tammy
It is funny how much math some parents seem to forget when they get out of school. As for the JoAnn's employee, maybe she needs a refresher course herself. They some times cut fabric catewampus and will short you on yardage. I don't consider them experts and watch them carefully as they cut my fabric.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:44 AM

3 1/4 yds is not enough for a kings size, not even for a queen size (90x108)
Old 10-30-2011, 08:36 AM

You're the teacher. These are the measurements you asked for. It's too bad there is always someone who tries to run the show when they don't know what they're talking about. I hope it doesn't discourage you from helping the kids again.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:58 AM

I would buy extra material and pay for it myself because if you don't have enough material, your project will flop and very mad parents. Better safe than sorry.

You don't say how wide the border is going to be and is this included in the 64 inches.

I always buy extra material for every quilting project which if not used can be turned into a scrappy quilt later on.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:03 AM

That is only a $35.00 "class materials fee". That is a deal. And since it's a coop, I'm sure all will benefit. I guess if they don't want to pay the fee, they can opt out of the lessons.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:07 AM

[quote=Lindsey]
Originally Posted by Plumtree
Thank you. They are supplying the fabric for the top as well but only the back fabric is being questioned. It is her friends and someone at joanne's that told her that would be enough to back a king.[/quote

tell her nine yards or so is enough backing for a king.
Maybe the was King Farquaad the short one in Shrek.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:23 AM

I totally agree with Holice. It's apparent the mother's friend has never backed a quilt. A king quilt usually requires about 9 yards of fabric. If you use John Flynn's' methods you could get away with using less.You're 3 1/4 estimate sounds about right. If these are first time quilters, the cutting/piecing needs to be kept at a minimum. If cost is an issue, maybe suggesting muslin would be more cost effective.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:36 AM

Reminds me of the time I bought some 64" wide fabric at a resell shop and the girl wanted me to pay for 1 1/2 yards when it wasn't even one yard of fabric. I pointed out the selvage and she didn't know what it was. I think this mother doesn't know what she is talking about. Ask her to show you the math on this.