Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Eleanor Burns >

Eleanor Burns

Eleanor Burns

Old 10-30-2011, 07:56 AM

She is one of my all time favorites. I have learned so much from her and I have all her books.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
eleanor burns is my fav. and i really respect her for rising from pinching pennies to leading a huge quilting empire. i have not met her, but it has been said that she is as nice in person as she is in her videos.
I have met her in person and she is wonderful.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:12 AM

I took a class with her and I agree that she is a wonderful person.

SHe has made quilting easy for a lot of people
Old 10-30-2011, 08:14 AM

I love Eleanor Burns! I've learned a lot from her, and I enjoy her little history lessons along the way.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:54 AM

Love her and her methods. Years ago I made a Log Cabin quilt the old way--it way okay but not great. A friend gave me her Log Cabin book as a gift and I have made 4 log cabin quilts using her method. WONDERFUL!!!
Also love her D9P--have made 5 baby quilts using her method and everyone turned out perfect...
My friend Janet and I met her in Knoxville 2 years ago and she was so friendly--we took some pictures of her. In Houston I met Orion -- both he and Eleanor Burns signed the book I bought plus two that I purchased previously and brought with me...
Barbara
Old 10-30-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by dottientx
I'm happy to read so many love her. She may be a great teacher and a lovely person but I can't stand to listen to her programs. She acts like she's talking to a bunch of 1st graders who haven't a brain one and is talking like we're at our first day in school. We're adults, not children so talk to us like we're adults. Even the way she tosses her scraps of fabric over her shoulder is not for me. I hate it that she makes me feel this way but that's the way she affects me. I'm sorry Eleanor that you affect me that way but no thanks! I may be missing a lot but not when I end up feeling frustrated like she makes me feel.
I'm sorry to have to admit, too, that her voice and her ways of speaking to her listeners turns me off, too. It has made me likely miss a lot, and I have been
thinking of that, so I've made a commitment to explore her web site and try to get beyond this effect on me. I'm happy to read how much most people love and respect her.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:12 AM

I enjoy Eleanor Burns. I have made several of her quilts. Her techniques are easy to follow. If you read part of her biography, you may have an additional appreciation of her. She went through some really tough times that led to her career.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:14 AM

Think of the audience she gets, everyone from young beginners to experts. I think she tries to appeal to the beginners so they won't be afraid to try new techniques. The more experienced quilters allow for that and still learn faster ways of doing things.

My pet peeve with quilt teachers is when they think their way of doing things is the way it has to be done. Eleanor Burns doesn't do that, she's just trying to show us an easier way.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:19 AM

I noticed that you lived in Sea Side. If you are interested in interviewing a great resource on both quilting and women's history contact Rachel the owner of Grandma's Attic in Dallas OR. Their store has a website and you can contact her through that either by phone or e-mail. She is very knowledgeable and generous with her knowledge and sense of humor!
Old 10-30-2011, 09:24 AM

I find her voice a little annoying at times but she has either toned it down or I'm getting use to her. I made her Star for All Season table runner which turned out nice. She makes things easy. She has a way of getting her point across to her audiance in a noncondecending manner. I get a lot of good tips from Fons & Porter but I feel like I'm in a Home Ec class....that dates me because nobody uses that term any longer. Both have their good points and bad points I guess. BYU took Love of Quilting off in my area...Bummer this month.