Still rather shocked

Old 10-30-2011, 09:32 AM

I have never heard of anything like this before. Don't do it. I think it is very strange of someone to ask this of you.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:11 AM

When someone in your family dies, people assume your brain dies too!!! Tell her, and others who come to you with crazy ideas, everything is controlled by lawyers now, and you need their proposal in writing to present it to the lawyers, and you will let them know. After a couple of months, if she has the nerve to ask, say she was turned down. You have to take care of yourself now, and not others! If the shoe was on the other foot, would she hand over cash to you?
My deepest sympathy to you. It is sad there are folks trying to take advantage of you at this time.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:22 AM

Ditto, I agree, it is very possible that she lost her job in this economy and is desperate. But if she doesn't have a job how in the world will she be able to make the payments? I would pick up the phone & call her former employer if she had one and discuss this with her supervisor. Then you may have a better idea what she is up to or against. Maybe even have a chat with you real estate agent if she knows her. What everr you do don't loan any $ or sign any loan papers! NO NO NO is your answer & NO needs NO explanation!

Originally Posted by carolaug
Wow...that is horrible..I would call her former employer...and possibly the police. You never know what else she may be thinking of doing.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:18 AM

I had a top executive (lady) with a municipality I worked with as a consultant that called me to her office one day. This was not unusual since we conducted business on a monthly basis. She asked me for a loan of $10,000! I told her that as much as I liked her and I understand that she would pay me back, I just do not loan friends or family money. This was a difficult situation since I worked for her city......when people get desparate, they do odd things.
Even so, "No" is the best answer.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:42 AM

The only thing I can think is that's she's terribly desperate. So many people right now are going through some really, really hard times and she might be one of them. However, you have enough on your plate and you are wise to turn her down.

I'm a widow also and at my age I don't co-sign or loan money to anyone.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:33 PM

Well, I would be shocked too. BUT, this woman may be so desperate, that she is just turning anywhere. Or she may be a scam artist. Recessions bring out many kinds.

My husband has been out of work for nine months, and even though I have a part time job, it does NOT pay all the bills. Thankfully I have not put near strangers on the spot. But that isn't to say I don't lay awake at night and try to figure out how we are going to make it. I can't find an additional job, and hubby isn't looking too hard for one. What a mess we are in!

While I don't condone what she did, who knows how desperate her situation is...

I just feel so sorry for everyone who has had their financial world turned upside down by this awful recession.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:44 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Click... do you hear the phone tone ? that is your answer !LOL
Old 10-30-2011, 03:52 PM

She sounds desperate, which can make people do something inappropriate without thinking it through. Obviously she wasn't thinking of what you needed at all. More than her asking, I would have resented the chit-chat beforehand (now that you know what she really wanted).

I am so sorry for your loss.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:58 PM

i'm sorry for your loss, hugs and prayers, going through this do not do anything for the first years...... don't make anying change at all for the first year., doing what you have to for the kids. and think only of the kids.don't sign anything to help a friends please. our thoughts are with you.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:36 PM

I have walked in your shoes. MY DH passed away much to young at age 69 and it is amazing to think that all of the gutsy, mindless people come out of the woodwork, who otherwise would have stayed there.
My answer would have been, "Sorry, Rockefeller, Warren Buffet and Bill Gates stopped sending me checks. If and when they start sending them again, I will call you and gladly loan you the money".