Are you older than dirt???

Old 10-31-2011, 04:51 AM

I just had a memory I could share. I remember going to the Saturday matinee with my brothers. We would watch cowboy movies and bring potted meat sandwiches; all for about 25 cents each. Of course, we had to do our share of housework before we left the house.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:53 AM

Heating the water you pumped on a wood burning stove. Hanging laundry out to dry. A grandmother who loved doilies, but "taught" me to iron them. I am older than dirt
Old 10-31-2011, 04:56 AM

Yes, I remember it all. Really so old, I am just happy that I can remember it all. I truly grew up in "The Good Ol' Days".
Old 10-31-2011, 04:57 AM

I am way older than dirt. Remember these things but we jumped into a load of hay. Good memories for us but I know my parents were glad to see changes in their lives.

Originally Posted by hearthhush
I remeber lye soap, wringer washer, #3 tub for bathing, outhouse, wood buring stove.
I remember waking up one morning and everyone standing around the wood stove shivering, becasue no one wanted to go out and bring in firewood that they forgot the night before.
Pumping water with a pump and drinking out of a ladel. Picking cotton and jumping of the loft into the cotton trailer for fun.
Those were the days when life was slow pace. But thanks to modern technology those are just precious memories.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:58 AM

I am so dirty!!! I knew them all but I don't feel old as dirt. Tee-Hee! I know the item you found and your daughter did not know. I used it regularly years ago because I liked to iron and still do like to iron. My first job was ironing for money at about 12 years old. I got a dollar per bushel, yup a bushel. Needless to say, I did not get rich but for that time, I appreciated the personal spending money.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:01 AM

I remembered 9 of your originals and several of the others in additional post, and studebaker was one I knew :thumbup: we actually had a studebaker, wish I had it now or my grandfather's corvair :mrgreen:
Old 10-31-2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by scraphq
Really older than dirt here!
Oh, so am I. Knew all of them well.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:07 AM

Older than dirt. My dad had a Studebaker that I wish I had today. Very cool looking car. I am 59 . I also remember because of where I lived the bathing in a galvanized tub in front of the fire place, the neighbors had an outhouse, we had plumbing but no running water.We also had a wood burning cook stove. It made the best bread ever. We lived in Arizona at the time.

Wringer washer cause my grandmother thought the automatic washers used too much water. This was after we kids went to live with my grandparents. Funny thing is after I was no longer there to do all the kids laundry she got an automatic washer. LOL
Old 10-31-2011, 05:09 AM

Thank you for these lovely memories from someone in NW Ohio who is 81yrs.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:10 AM

All but studebaker (although they are in old pictures of relatives). Yes, very good memories.
I always tell the kids at school to keep up with me (on walking field trips) because I am an old lady and they are young and should be walking faster than me. (They always whine about walking because they never have to do it.) The kids can't figure out what we all did before computers and all day/night TV shows!