Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
For or Against Trick or Treating?? >

For or Against Trick or Treating??

For or Against Trick or Treating??

Old 10-31-2011, 07:20 AM

I personally love this holiday. I have lots of kids and grandkids and none of them have been taught any "evil" from it. Just to have fun and pretend and dress up and go trick or treating. I do not know any person who worships Halloween or practices the witchcraft that could and does exist someplaces. If you follow these practices you don't wait for one day a year to do so.

Things have change since we were young and we do have to be more careful and check the candy and only go in well lit areas but it's still just fun; it's not begging for anything. When a child knocks on my door I do make them say trick or treat and I tell them they are welcome even if they don't thank me. I love to see the costumes and I buy several different types of candy so that really young one gets a sucker instead of something to choke on. I'd love to give out fruit but lets face along with the fact that is alot of money it's also an item that most parents would throw away because it's easily tainted and hard to detect. There are plenty of holidays where everyone just wants to have fun and their isn't anything wrong with that. It's up to parents to make sure kids know its just having fun. I'm really happy that my kids and grandkids love it so much. I hope tonight while everyone is out gathering thier stash they have lots of fun and stay safe.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:29 AM

Totally for it..... up to 8th grade. I feel that if you're in high school, old enough to drive yourself around, etc., you don't need to be trick or treating. If you want to get dressed up, then have a party at someone's house and have fun. But leave the trick or treating to the little ones.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:31 AM

The Jaycees have a weenie roast at the elementary school which is 1 1/2 blocks from my house, so I get lots of kids. Village sets hours at 4-7. DD & kids live in the country, but go to my school district. They come to my house & trick or treat on my block. Last year, DGS was "too old" according to him to go door to door, so he sat still on my front porch wearing a mask. With the older kids, he sometimes moved to scare them. He stayed still with the little ones, so as not to frighten them. It was a fun time.
Parents were with the kids, sometimes wearing costumes themselves. I knew a lot of them--it was enjoyable talking to them & commenting on the various costumes.
I'm working tonight, but DD & kids will be here. DD bought candy & will be handing it out. DGS will probably be a "statue" on the porch again. DGD is old enough now to go out trick or treating by herself, along with a couple of her friends.
I used to hate Halloween. All the people at the door drove my dog nuts--lots of barking. I took out the screen & glass in my storm door & handed out candy through the opening. Didn't have to worry about the dog escaping. :D
Old 10-31-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by MIJul
Totally for it..... up to 8th grade. I feel that if you're in high school, old enough to drive yourself around, etc., you don't need to be trick or treating. If you want to get dressed up, have a party at someone's house and have fun. But leave the trick or treating to the little ones.
I agree as well. Last year I had a lady at least in her middle 20's say she was out trick or treating for her child because it was too young to bring out. I told her if it was too young to take out then it's to young to eat candy. I then told her that I only give to kids and can't afford to do teenagers or adults. I know that a lot of adults eat the candy as well but it's thier kids out having the fun; that's the way it's supposed to be. I no longer have kids out trick or treating but I'll be out their giving out the candy anyhow.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:56 AM

I love Halloween and prepare special little bags for all my "small neighbors". However, once the big kids start and the carloads are dropped off from the apartment project down the freeway, I am done for the night.

We use to have such fun and didn't consider that we were begging for anything; went only to neighbors and friends' houses that we knew. Adults have ruined so much of the fun we knew as children!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:02 AM

I must be weird-grew up only being allowed to trick or treat at a handful of houses, only people we knew well. So that is what I allowed my children to do, only trick or treat at homes of people we knew well.
I love seeing little princesses, and pirates, etc. We learned to take down all decorations outside by 8pm, and turned off outside lights and even inside lights. We refused to open door after about 8pm. No little ones should be out trick or treating after that time of night.
Now we don't have hardly any trick or treaters, the town parade no longer goes by our house. So Halloween isn't fun anymore-sure miss seeing those little ones dressed up.
Now we do have little grands so we go and walk them through a town parade (only for little ones with adults accompanying them). The shop owners stay open just to hand out candy. It's much safer this way.
Kat
Old 10-31-2011, 08:09 AM

Where we live now I do not give out candy; I turn off my lights and do not decorate. It is not what it used to be when I was a kid, they don't even say thank you anymore; and I too do not like opening the door to strangers. When we finish building next year it will not be an issue as there are only 4 houses on the entire road and I certainly don't want strange cars driving up and down our narrow 1/4 mile driveway.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:14 AM

My favorite holiday of the year.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:25 AM

Oh gosh... One night out of the year. With proper supervision, I don't see the harm. It's like worrying about fat on Thanksgiving. Life is short. Have some fun.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:30 AM

Same here
Originally Posted by mayday
HATE ,HATE,HATE it ,plse keep it othere, we have enough problems at bonfire night.
:(