Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric at Wal-mart >

Fabric at Wal-mart

Fabric at Wal-mart

Old 10-31-2011, 08:09 AM

Yeah Walmart. Good selection and great prices.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:19 AM

our WM has a lot of really nice fabrics that also sell at JoAnns for a 1/3 the price And WM will re-order a sold out fabric for you and call when its in.I never got that kind of customer service from Jo's.All my business goes to WM and Hancock's
Old 10-31-2011, 08:47 AM

Wow! Awesome find...who cares about the thin...it's backing! Wish I could be that lucky! Our cheapest material is $1.50 to $2 ($1.99 to make you feel better). I love Walmart's fabric dept and hope they don't close the one by me and in my husband's hometown.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:53 AM

I bought a "collection" from the WalMart clearance table for $1 a yard. After washing, cannot tell the difference from the prints I got at the LQS on clearance for $5 a yard. Not all fabric is excellent quality no matter where you get it.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:27 AM

Our Wal-mart just got the fabic back. I use them for the backing they work great.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Lioness3xs
I am not a Wal-mart fabric snubber. Some in my guild poo poo it but then I have to remember they are shop owners. The fabric companies that provide W's fabric are also suppling quilt shops but not with the same designs. One of my fave things about Walmart is they monthly pattern and fabric projects. The patterns are free to download off the internet and then you can buy the fabrics much cheaper then their regular fabrics. You can make a full sized quilt for under $30 cost for the top and this makes a great quilt for charity give away.

http://www.aenathan.com/index.php?tmpl=quiltofthemonth
There is one fabric that I have seen, and yes, same quality, lol...in Walmart, JoAnns and the LQS. I pointed it out to my dh and said, "that has to be the most popular fabric ever....everyone carries it". It is just a matter of knowing what you are looking for, and what you want.

It's like groceries, and the people who say they won't buy food at Walmart. Let me tell you, go get your boxed prepared stuff and your canned stuff that you would buy elsewhere at Walmart. Check their prices against your receipts at the other stores. DelMonte and LIbbys at Walmart are the same product as they are at Publix. So are Jello, spices, etc. I don't let my dh buy frozen foods or meats there. I worked for Walmart, and I know how the shoppers would go get those foods FIRST then walk around getting everything else, for hours, then end up in line with no money, bad checks or cards. The food, including meats and frozen would go back, after being out so long, or sitting at the service desk. But it never hurt the canned or boxed items.

You just have to know what you are buying, and what not to buy.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by G'ma Kay
I bought a "collection" from the WalMart clearance table for $1 a yard. After washing, cannot tell the difference from the prints I got at the LQS on clearance for $5 a yard. Not all fabric is excellent quality no matter where you get it.
I won some fabric from one of the shops from the fabshophop a few years ago, and when it arrived it was the same fabric I had just purchased a couple of days before from WalMart at $2 a yard!! I put the two together and could not tell a difference.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by QuilterChick
Purchasing fabric at WalMart is not going to keep our LQS's in business.

There is a thread here today about LQS going out of business. I will go without something else in order to help support the local business owners; and I am on a fixed income.
Not to be rude, but if my LQS would try lowering their prices a tad, I would drive over there instead of to JoAnns. I recently went into Walmarts to get some paper towels and tp, and we went over to the fabric dept. to pick up a bottle of machine oil (darn, still need to work on that machine), and the woman who works over there greeted me, smiled, asked how I was. Trust me, she is getting minimum wage and a hard time from management. I am lucky to get noticed at JoAnns. The people at the LQS welcomed me, but were not very interested in helping me.

Now, if I were to buy one of the machines there....
Old 10-31-2011, 10:31 AM

I agree...if it's economy you are after than Wal-Mart is the place to go because they look the same when finished sort of, but if you want feel, texture, and high thread count than Wal-Mart is not the place to go. I like the feeling of the fabrics from the fabric stores, the thread count is higher and it doesn't pill or feel scratchy. And then again it depends on what you are using the fabric for and I have found out that most people aren't fussy about the feel like I am. For me I have decided I will make fewer quilts so I can have the better fabric.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by peggy463
I agree...if it's economy you are after than Wal-Mart is the place to go because they look the same when finished sort of, but if you want feel, texture, and high thread count than Wal-Mart is not the place to go. I like the feeling of the fabrics from the fabric stores, the thread count is higher and it doesn't pill or feel scratchy. And then again it depends on what you are using the fabric for and I have found out that most people aren't fussy about the feel like I am. For me I have decided I will make fewer quilts so I can have the better fabric.
Like I, and several others have mentioned, some of the same fabrics do show up at all three places. Same print, same quality, same feel and thread count. Different price. You have to know what you are looking at.