Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
using table for layering quilt >

using table for layering quilt

using table for layering quilt

Old 10-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by paulswalia
I use a carpeted floor all the time! Lay your backing down, wrong side up and pin it to the carpet in the corners and a couple of places along the sides, making sure it is flat and tight. Layer your batting and then the top, smoothing out each layer. THEN (this is how it works), slide a cutting mat on the carpet, under the backing and use the mat as something to pin against so you don't catch your carpet. I just did it last night - works great!
It probably does - when one's knees still cooperate!!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:59 AM

I've never understood the idea of making your quilt sandwich on a wall. Don't the different layers sort of sag downwards differently so when you take it down, the whole thing is just not flat and smooth? How can you secure each layer to the others if it's attached to a wall?
Old 10-31-2011, 10:51 AM

I push two banquet tables together and layer backing, batting and top making sure everything is centered. I use the big binding clips all around
starting in the middle of each side. North/South then East/West. Then add more all round making sure it's taught but not overstretched. After I'm done
basting the middle, I move the basted centre to one corner, put the clips back (again making sure everything is taught) and baste, etc. One more
thing that helps is to starch your backing. Don't hesitate to use those clips.
I think I put one about every 8-10 inches.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by lewisl
I've never understood the idea of making your quilt sandwich on a wall. Don't the different layers sort of sag downwards differently so when you take it down, the whole thing is just not flat and smooth? How can you secure each layer to the others if it's attached to a wall?
I can see where this would work if you were spray basting.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:01 PM

I use my cutting table to layer my quilts. Depending on the size, I always center the backing use the large binder clips to keep it from moving then add the batting and top. I then pin from the middle out and once I have taht area pinned I just unclip move in one direction reclip and pin. Until all areas are finished.

This has worked for me for years.

Cindy
Old 10-31-2011, 12:07 PM

I have used my dining room table or have taken all of the bedding of my bed and used my mattress on the bed. The advantage here, is I can use pins, etc. to spread it out to ensure no wrinkles. . .also in a smaller house, the bed works great a a design board if you want to lay out all of the blocks before you begin sewing on larger projects. Good luck
Old 10-31-2011, 12:22 PM

I bought clamps are Menards lumber store. I use them on one side of the table to hold the backing and batting. As I pin I pull down, and smooth left and right. I don't have a quilting machine so my backings never come out totally smooth anyway but the clamps help lots.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:55 PM

I pin mine on my full size bed, amd have no problems
Old 10-31-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
I posted the other day, after discovering that a quilt I'd sandwiched SO carefully nevertheless had creases in the backing. I'm now wondering how else I might approach this, given that I have a small house with no walls big enough to use, and only one suitable floor area, which is carpeted and therefore not ideal. I've been looking at tutorials on using a table, but none of them seem to say whether you can do this successfully if your quilt is considerably bigger than the table - the videos I've looked at use quilt tops that are conveniently almost exactly the same size as the table top. Can anyone advise, please?
Go on You Tube and find Sharon Schambers tut on basting the quilt. In the tut she shows how to sandwich a quilt without getting on the floor or having a large table. And it will be wrinkle free. It is fast and easy, stress free. If you used the spray you could put a large quilt together in 20 min. easy. I basted like she said and it took me about 45 min to an hour (I am slow) from start (putting the sandwich together) to finish. No wrinkles. I did it on my kitchen island.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:13 PM

I use my bed. I layer and then pin baste. I then flip the sandwich over to make sure that there are no wrinkles. Easier on my back than on the floor. After all is smooth, I will remove a few pins at a time and spray baste to make sure that there is no shifting since I use my regular machine to quilt. i will cover the bed with a large piece of plastic to protect from spray. A few extra steps, but it works for me.