Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Creative Uses for Your Serger? >

Creative Uses for Your Serger?

Creative Uses for Your Serger?

Old 10-31-2011, 02:24 PM

sorry, no help here...I only use it for the edges, nothing different or fancy....but I can't imagine sewing w/o it!
Old 10-31-2011, 02:32 PM

I use mine to make chemo caps that look like biker caps. I use wooly nylon, as it is softer on the bald head. I also use it for edging items I don't want to bind. I have seen on some quilting show that someone used their serger with the knife down or so that it doesn't cut, to put decorative stitches on crazy quilts. I wish that I could remember the show. Maybe Kay Wood?
Old 10-31-2011, 02:32 PM

I use mine to make chemo caps that look like biker caps. I use wooly nylon, as it is softer on the bald head. I also use it for edging items I don't want to bind. I have seen on some quilting show that someone used their serger with the knife down or so that it doesn't cut, to put decorative stitches on crazy quilts. I wish that I could remember the show. Maybe Kay Wood? Sorry it posted twice.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Eileen
I have seen on some quilting show that someone used their serger with the knife down or so that it doesn't cut, to put decorative stitches on crazy quilts. I wish that I could remember the show. Maybe Kay Wood?
I think you flip the knife *up*, out of the way. At least on my serger. Hadn't thought to try decorative stitching with the knife up; will have to check that out!

Edit: I found this pdf. Aside from disengaging the knife, it looks like you need to fold the fabric along the line you want to stitch. Folded right sides together, then opened up, the stitch looks one way; folded wrong sides together and then opened up, it looks another way. Neat!
Old 10-31-2011, 04:14 PM

You can buy a serger book that gives you ideas on what to do or you can take classes. Hubby just bought me the book with a cd . I haven't used it yet I will let you know what I did .
Old 10-31-2011, 04:19 PM

I usa mine for donation kids quilt all 3 layers together block by block and all u have to do when you done is binding fast and very sturdy
Old 10-31-2011, 05:27 PM

I used my serger to put a twin size quilt together. It consisted of long strips with a pattern much like an indian blanket. It sure went together fast and it has been used on a bed for several years with not problem.

Gloriaquilter
Old 10-31-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Originally Posted by Eileen
I have seen on some quilting show that someone used their serger with the knife down or so that it doesn't cut, to put decorative stitches on crazy quilts. I wish that I could remember the show. Maybe Kay Wood?
I think you flip the knife *up*, out of the way. At least on my serger. Hadn't thought to try decorative stitching with the knife up; will have to check that out!

Edit: I found this pdf. Aside from disengaging the knife, it looks like you need to fold the fabric along the line you want to stitch. Folded right sides together, then opened up, the stitch looks one way; folded wrong sides together and then opened up, it looks another way. Neat!
http://www.kayewood.com/pop.php?f=/i...ges/6hrbig.jpg

I made one of these at a Chicago Quilt show one year. It was very very easy.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by SmickChick
This is wild one! You know there are tea bags. There are coffee bags also. I used to buy them so I could have a decent cup of coffee at work. I'm a coffee snob, so I started making my own coffee bags. The ones you buy have about 1/4 instant coffee in them. So I mix up my favorite blend (french roast or express blend, i.e. DARK) and add 1/4 instant. Then I buy the coffee filters that are shaped like a cone with a blunt end at the cone. I cut them down the center. I chain finish this cut, which leaves the top open. I fill the bag with my special blend, and serge across the top. Does this make me a red neck? I hope so!
Oh my gosh, that has to be the most original idea!!
Old 10-31-2011, 06:52 PM

good idea I like to be a redneck then 2.