Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric at Wal-mart >

Fabric at Wal-mart

Fabric at Wal-mart

Old 10-31-2011, 12:55 PM

I also buy Wal-Mart fabric; however, Hobby Lobby also has a 40% off coupon for any one regularly price item until 11/5/11. If you are buying fabric, if can deduct 40% from one cut no matter how many yards.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by cny_sewer39
What a bargain. I LOVE Wal-mart's fabric. I love supporting my LQS, but with the economy being what it is, I have to STRETCH my money... As I am sure you all do too.

debra
I love walmart fabric too--I just spent 25 bucks there today and yesterday I went to Ben Franklin Crafts and spent 45 bucks on only 3 pieces of fabric that was 10 bucks a yard!
Old 10-31-2011, 01:30 PM

I agree...there is a difference..if the quilt is for me...or someone I know that will use and love the quilt forever...I spend the extra...if its for a baby quilt I will look for the cheaper deals...if for someone that may not care or keep forever or a person who loike frequent changes...bargin fabrics...since they will end up only keeping for a year or two...the fabric does wear differently. Yes you can get the good quality fabrics at all of the stores...but you need to becareful unlike the LQS..I just get what I like. Also the selection is huge....I have several quilts that I have made in the last year and the ones that I bought in the LQS still look great! the others....while...I have donated a few to goodwill already...the thickness is just not the same.
Originally Posted by peggy463
I agree...if it's economy you are after than Wal-Mart is the place to go because they look the same when finished sort of, but if you want feel, texture, and high thread count than Wal-Mart is not the place to go. I like the feeling of the fabrics from the fabric stores, the thread count is higher and it doesn't pill or feel scratchy. And then again it depends on what you are using the fabric for and I have found out that most people aren't fussy about the feel like I am. For me I have decided I will make fewer quilts so I can have the better fabric.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:51 PM

Just a tip. A fabric shop owner said that the Wal-Mart is the low grade fabric(before they start tweaking and making upgrades to it). The material for JoAnns, Hancocks, etc are the second grade(before the final tweak). The fabric for Quilting shops is the top or the best grade. Does make sense. My vote is to use what you want or can afford. Quilting can be very expensive and corners need to be cut when necessary.
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 03:53 PM

Good Deal!
Old 10-31-2011, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

Just goes to show you that if you check the fabric out, the Wal-Mart fabric is as good as JoAnn's and other places, you just need to know what to look for. I've seen and not bought fabric at JoAnn's that was really, really thin, no way I'd take that home. Other times I have found some great fabric at Wal-Mart.. It just depends.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

I agree, if it was fabric I liked, I would have been tempted to buy the bolt, especially at 50 cents a yard. Wish I had found that bargain, but no local Wal-Mart close to me has fabric.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:04 PM

I worked in Walmart fabric dept for four years. I have some really nice fabrics from there. Love their BOM quilts :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 10-31-2011, 05:20 PM

I just bought fabric at Wal-Mart today. I was really pleased, as I was looking for fabric for a binding, since I didn't have enough of the fabric I really wanted to use. Guess what, I found the very same fabric at Wal-Mart. I was very pleased and surprised!! I bought my original fabric online somewhere, and this was just the same!!
Old 10-31-2011, 05:36 PM

Wow, I've never seen anything that inexpensive at any of our Wal-Marts here. The cheapest I've seen is about $2.00 and it is very thin and loosely woven. In fact since they brought back the fabric department, I think their fabric is not very nice. Some very cute designs but too thin and it is about $6.00 a yard.