Am I the only one?

Old 10-31-2011, 01:20 PM

To all you ladies who get discouraged about quilting, first try to keep in simple, stitch-in-the-ditch, or do diagonal stitching by measuring the distance between and marking. I cannot do quilting as I don't have the space or strength to hand quilt a large quilt. I have machine quilted baby quilts, wallhangings and also done hand quilting on these items also. Look around for a quilting guild and you may find some good places to take your quilts and have them done.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by wraez
Originally Posted by raedar63

This is the one ,The only quilt I ever went and bought all the fabrics for ,new and at the same time, boy was that costly ! http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-156631-1.htm
Oh wow, your batik quilt is so stunning! Yes batiks are expensive but aren't they worth the beauty they create?

Keep on quilting, you do beautiful work.
Oh that is not mine ,It is from another board member here, I bought all the fabric to make it.I have not made it yet.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by raedar63
I absolutly love to look at all the quilts that are posted on here and all over the internet for that matter. The thing is, I find myself getting so discouraged about making quilts because I do not have a long arm. I hear it roughly a 150 dollars and more to have one longarmed and that is for stippling.I have almost came to the conclusion to find a diffrent hobby and try to sell all of the tops and stash I have accumutated.Am I the only one that feels this way. I guess I am, and have been in a funk feeling like I am wasteing so much money buying nice fabrics to make quilts.
Funnily enough I have just completed a small quilt and, for the first time I have quilted it with stippling. Whilst I am not going to post a picture of it and it isn't perfect - I have done it and I really do think you just have to practise practice. It is for me and I am happy with my accomplishment -- please don't give up !!!
Old 10-31-2011, 01:36 PM

LOL, now Rae, the funny thing is, when reading what she says about her lovely batik quilt, "you can ALMOST see the stitching in the border". The beauty in that quilt is not about the quilting. You can hardly see the quilting at all. It's in the wonderful fabrics that you already have. You can make that wonderful quilt just as you planned. You can do outline quilting of the appliques and all that is is putting your quarter inch foot on the edge and stitching around. When you come to another piece, you just stay a quarter inch away from everything as you go till you get back where you started. If I can do it, anyone can! LOL
Old 10-31-2011, 01:38 PM

It's not about giving up quilting as your hobby but thinking outside the box and finding ways to use this talents in different way.

I like the quilt as you go ideas and have found them fun because I can easily quilt an 18 inch square with some wonderful machine quilting right from my machine. I don't have much luck with fmq so I use my walking foot and follow a template or the seam lines.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:41 PM

DON'T sell your tops OR give up !! You don't have to own a LA or use a LA to quilt your quilts. You just need to practice straight-line quilting and FMQ on YOUR machine. It just takes PRACTICE. I used to get frustrated too, I couldn't afford to pay a LA. I just kept practicing and now I quilt my own quilts. I won't win awards for elaborate machine quilting, but I continue to practice new designs.
Take a look at Leah Day's website and videos for inspiration - she does amazing work and does ALL her quilting on a Janome. No LA, no special equipment. She uses a Janome 6600 and a 7700. Also, check out Elizabeth Hartman at Oh Fransson! - she does a lot of modern quilting, but she has great straight-line designs and simple FMQ - all done on a home machine.
If your current machine is uncooperative, can you upgrade to one with a larger harp ? Janome, Viking, Pfaff and Babylock all have reasonably priced machines now that give more room for machine quilting. You'd have that cost back after just half a dozen quilts, compared to LA costs.
Hang in there and practice !! :)
Old 10-31-2011, 01:43 PM

It's not about giving up quilting as your hobby but thinking outside the box and finding ways to use this talents in different way.

I like the quilt as you go ideas and have found them fun because I can easily quilt an 18 inch square with some wonderful machine quilting right from my machine. I don't have much luck with fmq so I use my walking foot and follow a template or the seam lines.

Remember Georgia Bonsteels Lap Quilting - now that's still a fun way to go and works with hand or machine quilting.

I'm currently doing my Dear Jane as a qayg. Yeah that's hard to visualize but it's happening.

Sometimes you can find a machine quilter who will cut her prices down if you don't mind using your quilt as a practice for a new technique. I have some beautiful examples hanging on my walls from my angle quilter Linda.

Don't give up - just go a different direction with it.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:53 PM

I've read some of what others have said and I might be repeating their ideas, but I say if you enjoy making the tops, don't stop. You might find a friend who would do the quilting if you make her a top in exchange or take a class at your local shop that teaches FMQ. I've taken 2 classes and they aren't intimidating. These are to teach you to quilt on a regular domestic sewing machine. Some one said they use one of the old, old antique Singer machines to FMQ. Mine still isn't beautiful but it is fun to do. Kind of like playing. And as for comparing to others' quilts, that's the beauty of quilting. We all have our own touch and make individual works of "art". It's fun to look at everyone else's work and share ideas.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:03 PM

I will find a way to do it myself. Where there's a will, there's a way!
Old 10-31-2011, 04:44 PM

I sent a couple out to be long arm quilted & realized how much I was spending on it. I either SID or hand quilt mine now. Not show quality but the recipients are happy with them