Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
For or Against Trick or Treating?? >

For or Against Trick or Treating??

For or Against Trick or Treating??

Old 10-31-2011, 04:19 PM

I like Halloween because I like to see the kids dress up in costume! I also don't like it because even just now, kids come to the door and say trick or treat then they see the candy and say oh I don't like those, or how many can I take. Luckily my daughter gave out the candy and she was very great at it!
Old 10-31-2011, 04:24 PM

For it! Especially "Trunk and Treat" where it's organized chaos in a friendly atmosphere.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by fishhavengirl
For it! Especially "Trunk and Treat" where it's organized chaos in a friendly atmosphere.
I heard this phrase for the first time this last weekend while at the quilting retreat on the Oregon coast. It sounds like so much fun. I would love to decorate the back end of my pickup and hand out candy that way.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by CloverPatch
I just don't see the point any more.
It is no longer a kids holiday.
It is geared towards grown ups. halloween stores are filled with adult themed costumes that are better suited for bedroom fetishes, it amazes me what they consider a costume now a days.
Nothing about halloween in the general public is kid friendly. It is about gore and sex.
I will allow my kids to go a halloween parties, if there were any.
The only thing we have done the past couple of years is the church's trunk or treat. It is safe, I know everyone there, it is just a big get together
My kids don't need to go door to door for candy!
They want candy that bad we can walk up to the corner market any day of the year!

However, I DO LOVE it when the kids would come to the door. I like talking to children, would often tell them they had to do a trick to get the candy (have them hop on one foot, LOL) Gave the little ones rubber duckies.
But like somoene else already said, the "kids" keep getting bigger. One year it was mostly all older teenagers, I started turning them away. Then yes, the greedy ones, with more than one bag, or the mom/dad with a bag for candy for the 6 month old. Seriously The child can't walk but you want me to give her a snickers? Go buy your own candy.
It stopped being fun and started being a hand out.
I do miss halloween, it was a lot different 30 yrs ago.
This is the first time I've heard the expression: "trunk or treat" . What does that mean?
Old 10-31-2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by alapetitechaise
This is the first time I've heard the expression: "trunk or treat" . What does that mean?
it is when an organization or group, like a church, hosts trick or treating in a parking lot.
All the different families park their cars side by side, open their trunks and pass out candy to all the kids in the group.
i enjoy it. Its like a huge get together lots of laughs, everyone knows everybody.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by CloverPatch
Originally Posted by alapetitechaise
it is when an organization or group, like a church, hosts trick or treating in a parking lot.
All the different families park their cars side by side, open their trunks and pass out candy to all the kids in the group.
i enjoy it. Its like a huge get together lots of laughs, everyone knows everybody.
At our church the different "trunks" are decorated with different themes or games and such. We have a band playing, burgers grilling, a cup-cake walk, petting zoo, Photo booth and all kinds of stuff. We have hundreds and hundreds of children and families come. We are across the street and down the block from the church.
I am staying home partly because my knees are killing me and there is no way I can stand or walk around all evening. DH, DD#3 and her DH are all working there tonight. DD#1 is pregnant and going to come over shortly to sew with me.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:13 PM

i dont like it when i was a kid the costunes were fun stuff princesses and pirates but now most off them are gross and creepy. i live acrost from a cemitary and dont open my door since often if something bad is going to happen it will be near the cemitary. haloween may be seen as a fun holiday today but in the past (1600 ad) it was a night off evil when the tricks werent just a smashed mailbox or soap on your window they were much worse and the treat wasent candy. it isent a holiday i whant to celabrate.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:34 PM
Dee

I'm not a lover of this day. Our bourough has a a little party for all kids here. Got too much for adults.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:56 PM

I can take it or leave it. The area I live in really goes out big time. They had a parade tonight and they trick or treat 2 nights, which I think one night is enough.

I see no harm in it. Its for fun.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:26 PM

i enjoyed it when i was a kid ,and i took my childern trick or treating ,now they take there kids and i stay home and pass out candy it,s fun to see the kids dress up in there costumes.