Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
For or Against Trick or Treating?? >

For or Against Trick or Treating??

For or Against Trick or Treating??

Old 11-01-2011, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
Oh gosh... One night out of the year. With proper supervision, I don't see the harm. It's like worrying about fat on Thanksgiving. Life is short. Have some fun.
My feelings exactly. Kids love to dress up, and as for the older kids, maybe they don't want to grow up so fast, if they are comfortable going around, I will hand it out. They also might just be tall for there age too.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:26 AM

Well it sounds like Halloween is pretty horrible in some places. We organized our own party for our kids and their friends and played some nice traditional games (snap apple etc). We also adapted an old fortune telling game which they loved- put on a blindfold and reach your hand onto one of four plates to predict what the next year holds- the traditional one is not suitable for children so we picked four kid friendly options- an apple for health, water for travel, chocolate coins for wealth and a medal for success. I also bake the traditional 'brack' with charms inside.
The problem is not with the festival itself. I am in favor of old traditions being handed down, but absolutely not in favor of every holiday turning into a consumption fest with no community element at all. Kudos to all of you who have reclaimed Halloween for your communities. There is absolutely nothing evil about it in itself (its origins are much more ancient than 1600 and in fact the original had no 'trick or treat' at all!), but some sick people obviously use it as an excuse to do crazy stuff.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:43 AM

Love it! My DH goes all out decorating the garage, few kids won't come in, to spooky so I'll stand at the door to pass out candy, generally my mom comes out and she dresses up as a witch and sits there to pass out. We live on a street that goes in a circle .5 mile, We pass out our yearly letter for the block then everyone comes back to our house for pizza, chili, hot dogs, sloppy joes loves of cookies brownies, Neighbors all pitch in with the food. Other neighbor bought a real wagon to have our hayrides on, used to just use a little one, this one fits a lot of people pulled by a larger tractor, kids love it adults love it. This is about the 9th year we've done the party
Old 11-01-2011, 04:46 AM

Love it/hate it. Ours is mostly a neighborhood thing. You get to see all the neighborhood kids and their parents. It has all but been banned in school, so have other "kid" traditions like cup cakes for your birthday. Let's let them have some fun to remember. Remember when it was fun to be a kid and not some mini adult?
Old 11-01-2011, 05:00 AM

We lived in a neighborhood where we had the door bell ringing from 4 in the afternoon until 9 at night. Couldn't even sit down to eat dinner in peace. They soaped windows, threw eggs. I hated it. Now I live in a neighborhooe where the door bell rang 2 times. The children were polite. I wouldn't mind more of these children coming. The little ones enjoy it and I think it's fun for them.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:15 AM

I love Halloween and see it not as evil or anything else but fun for the kids. Or rather it use to be. When my kids were small it was fun to make them costumes and all the kids and parents use to get together to go trick or treating together and then for a party at a neighbors house.
Because some people have decided to make more money off it or demonize it its no longer just fun for kids and it has been turned into something dangerous. Although Never have I had anything happen to my kids or any in the family. Its sad to see things so twisted that use to be fun.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:16 AM

I agree Riversong! You are not alone.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:19 AM

Thank you Mad Mimm.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:25 AM

As a teacher of grades 3-4 (now retired) I dreaded Halloween. The kids were always so excited and all that candy they had both on the day of and in their lunches. UGH Now I don't mind so much. I love the little ones, tolerate the highschoolers, am amazed at how many parents bring their under one year olds, and apalled at the number of adults that trick or treat. We had 750 or more at our door in less than 2 hours, when we ran out. So glad DH was helping hand out treats. It is like a swarm of people in our neighborhood and expensive. Our neighbors always have a potluck after the siren goes off. That is a lot of fun for all of us treat givers.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Hattie Frances
I always liked Hallowen, and I would decorate and enjoyed the the kids and the costumes and give out plenty of candy. Well one year after I had just finished decorating the front yard and I do mean decorate! I decided to check that decorated mail box I had just completed. What do you know a card from my sister.
"Happy Hallowen - You Hell Bound Heathen". Needless to say, I don't decorate anymore, but I do leave the light on and give candy.
Well now. that would just make me decorate twice as much the following year. But then no one and I do mean no one tells me what I can and cannot do in my own home. If I am not hurting anyone it is no one elses business how I want to decorate.