Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
givng quilts >

givng quilts

givng quilts

Old 11-01-2011, 02:54 AM

No not weird at all! My boss, who I also consider a friend, recently found out she has breast cancer. I wanted to make her a lap quilt to take to chemo and since I only see her once a month I presented it to her the last time I saw her........unfinished! It was pieced, sandwiched and 1/2 quilted but she didn't care, in fact she was so touched I had to leave the office for awhile so she could compose herself. I honestly think it was appreciated more because I was able to present it in person. Finishing the binding today and will mail tomorrow and she will receive it in time for her next chemo treatment. Not that I wanted to see her cry of course, but it meant a lot to both of us, I think, to give it in person.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:00 AM

Yes...I love to see faces of giftees. It makes the giving all the more fun.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:03 AM

Eating his veggies??! It looks to me like that little darling is hiding his broccoli in an envelope, lol! Thanks for the giggle!

Edit: I had to go back and look again and see that I misread what you said. Still a super cute picture!
Old 11-01-2011, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Patchwork Pam
Not weird at all.At Christmas I am always the last to open my gifts. I love to watch everyone else open theirs. It doesn't matter who gave the gift, I just love to see the smiles and surprise all around. My family thinks I am weird.
I agree - I LOVE watching others open their presents, especially when it's something I made for them. As for Christmas, my family wised up and they ALL watch me to make sure I'm opening my presents along with them :)
Old 11-01-2011, 04:55 AM

Okay....admittedly....I do like to hear the praise....but more than that, I am with you on wanting to see the delight on someone's face when they receive their gift.

As for the little guy hiding his veggies in an envelope, my youngest son did that too when he was about that age. He didn't want his lunch sandwich, so when no one was looking, he reached across the counter.....snagged an envelope and hid the remainder of his sandwich in the envelope. We didn't notice it until about an hour later and just busted up hysterically that a 2 year old could outsmart us 'wise' adults. Thanks for sharing the memories.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:27 AM

For the past 5 yrs. I have asked people to refer a family with kids that might not get a present or maybe just one gift, I then make lap quilts for each child in the family, I find out there ages and what they might like interest wise, the person who has nonminated them cannot tell them anything, because on Christmas Eve I deliver the quilts wrapped, and signed by Santa, I ring the bell an leave them on the porch an leave before they open the door, sometimes the person that nonminated them will send me a note saying how much the kids loved there very own quilt, I can only imagine, what they are feeling! (My kids are all grown, I still try to make them each something for Christmas, but have enjoyed doing this for other kids too!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Just Fabric
For the past 5 yrs. I have asked people to refer a family with kids that might not get a present or maybe just one gift, I then make lap quilts for each child in the family, I find out there ages and what they might like interest wise, the person who has nonminated them cannot tell them anything, because on Christmas Eve I deliver the quilts wrapped, and signed by Santa, I ring the bell an leave them on the porch an leave before they open the door, sometimes the person that nonminated them will send me a note saying how much the kids loved there very own quilt, I can only imagine, what they are feeling! (My kids are all grown, I still try to make them each something for Christmas, but have enjoyed doing this for other kids too!
What an AWESOME thing to do!!! Thank you!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Patchwork Pam
Not weird at all.At Christmas I am always the last to open my gifts. I love to watch everyone else open theirs. It doesn't matter who gave the gift, I just love to see the smiles and surprise all around. My family thinks I am weird.
Ditto!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:44 AM

Not weird at all!!! Or if you are, I am too. I don't want a pat on the back, just to be able to see the surprise on the face of someone who appreciates a handmade gift is worth all the effort.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
The pleasure is in the giving.....I love to see the response a gift from me brings:)
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: