Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm getting a "small" sewing room - need some tips! >

I'm getting a "small" sewing room - need some tips!

I'm getting a "small" sewing room - need some tips!

Old 11-01-2011, 05:52 AM

:thumbup: Sounds wonderful!!
Old 11-01-2011, 06:04 AM

I know I am repeating some of what has been said, but shelving for heavy items on the wall to the house, a pull-down ironing board with a place to store the iron inside, drawers of all sizes, curtains to cover anything that the sun can fade, bright happy colors all around, good fans or air conditioning for the summer. Those rooms can get hot. An easy floor to clean so you don't have to vacuum a lot. And a place to hang your treasured pieces that encourage you to keep going when things don't seem to be coming together the way you thought they might. A trunk for things you are thinking about and room for the largest cutting/sewing table(s) you can fit. Good Luck. Post pictures as you go. sueinbarre
Old 11-01-2011, 06:24 AM

Mine isn't much larger than that but I have a cutting table my machine 2 book cases, a design wall and another piece of furniture with drawers and some open shelving @ the top and on top my TV, stereo and DVD player! The closet has shelves from bottom to top!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 11-01-2011, 06:32 AM

My sewing area is 8 x 8...and cramped, but you would not believe what I have in there! Put shelves all the way around about 2 feet down from the ceiling. Hang everything you can...oh, and put flourescent light sticks underneath those shelves. I have the ruler holders, wooden with grooves hanging on the wall to hold all those "unruley" rulers...along the window I put four plastic drawer storage "dressers" and on top placed a board to act as additional space. In the middle of the room is a craft cutting table. It works for me, although very crowded. I woudl post a picture but it looks like a tornado went through there right now :)
Michelle
Old 11-01-2011, 06:47 AM

When I converted a spare bedroom to my very own studio....I asked my husband to put shelving on one wall all the way to the ceiling. We choose to put up the metal strips on the walls (located on the studs for strength) and then purchased the metal brackets and added wood shelves of assorated sizes, 6,8,10,12 inch deep. I started out putting 'pretty things' on the shelves they now hold pattern boxes, containers of bindings, folded fabric. I love to be able to see what I need and reach out a touch it. All my 'good' quilting fabric is stored in clear plastic drawers, by color in closet away from light and dust.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by AprilG
Another thought. (they don't come easy to me. LOL) Have your handy dear hubby make a chest to hang on the wall. The front would drop down (supported by two or 3 telescoping or folding legs). There would be pegboard at the back of it. He could make it any size allowed by your wall and you would have a cutting table and hanging storage that folds out of the way when not in use.

Of course mine is always in use for something or other!
Neat idea!

Congratulations to the OP. I suspect that the majority of posters here don't have super large quilting rooms, I know I don't, so you will do just fine :-) Your room sounds as if it will be a wonderfully light place to work in.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:55 AM

Lucky girl!!!-I would make sure that you have one four plug outlet near where your sewing table is going to be-otherwise I agree with Verticle storage and maybe a design board while he's got the power tools out-Then make his the first quilt you finish when its up and running!!!LOL Best stitches and SEND PICTURES
Old 11-02-2011, 03:15 AM
tmg

Lucky you! I wish I was getting one.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:24 AM

Congrats! There's nothing like having your own space!
Old 11-02-2011, 03:29 AM

Congrats and enjoy! I would just go sit there and plan and plot and dream and scheme, picturing what would fit best where and make a wish list. And then start nagging the DH about shelving and peg boards and a design wall and whatever else came from the wish list. What a lovely prospect, moving into a designated space!