Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 11-02-2011, 04:54 AM

Smile Featherweight Owner

I bought my featherweight on E-bay this past summer. I haven't had much time to do anything with it other than clean it up a little and oil it. I need to replace the belt (which I already have) and will need to find out how to do that.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:53 AM

I have three of these lovely machines in my sewing room. Two are 221 Featherweight's born 1941 and Centennial 1950. The third one is a 221K with the red S Singer Badge and the gold badge underneath with 221K on it. I was lucky enouth to find my girls right here on the quilting board and bought them from some of the nicest ladies I've ever met. The lovely lady born in 1950 is the Centennial machine and looks like she has been used very little in her lifetime. The lovely girl born 1941 is "just" a Featherweight 221. Having said "just" I need to explain she is every bit as lovely as her sisters and sews like a dream. I use the 1941 more than the other two, I guess I want to keep them looking new for as long as possible. I think this board may have ruined me. Ever time I see one of these machines my mouth begins to water and my eyes glass over............................madness, madness, madness
Old 11-02-2011, 06:12 AM

I have a 1947 (bought for my birth year) and have taken her to many retreats. Recently purchased a 301 and took her to my last retreat. Both are great machines.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:12 AM

Exclamation This is what can happen when you don't know what you're looking at!

I have one that I found at a garage sale about 10 years ago, and not knowing what it was, got it for ... drum roll please ... $15 - after I talked the guy down from $20 or $25! ... it is from about 1932, per the S/N, and works like a champ.

I took a class a few years ago at the Country Quilter in Somers, NY (everyone shed a tear for the shop, it retired when the owner did, her daughter runs workshops but they are quite expensive in these times, I miss the store!) We were making market bags and I was sitting next to one of the guys who used to own the Woodstock (NY) quilt shop - he had a very expensive machine with all the bells and whistles, even with a walking foot he was having problems, while my little FW just chugged along, through 8 layers of fabric and 2 pieces of heavy iron-on stiff batting, even without the walking foot!

If I ever had a fire I would have to grab my kitties and my FW, my SE (spousal equivalent) would have to find his own way out. 8-D (I wear glasses)
Old 11-02-2011, 10:29 AM

I just joined the featherweight club. It arrived this morning. We had to do some oiling and adjusting, but we got it going!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:09 AM

I've been a member of the Featherweight club for about 3 months now. Got my lovely from a member of one of my Yahoo Groups. Now I want a white/green one....I'm addicted...but seems the price keeps going up and up and I'm on a fixed budget and only have a certain amount to spend. Anyone have an extra that they would like to sell so my black one will have a sister?????
Old 11-02-2011, 11:33 AM

I have a total of 3 FW's --just got a 1948 and 1951 good condition but 1 has no case . Cleaned now ready to use but last night went to sew --although it sounded great think I had it threaded wrong direction and have no manual . One is up north so forgot
direction for needle and for threading --maybe someone can help. Years ago I belonged to the Feathrweight Fanatics but haven't
heard of them for yrs. glad to join this group if I can use the newest format.

Was driving south for 3 days --arrived with no phone, TV or internet. Today can not go back to Oct 25th and read the pages now that the internet problem is solved --we have a wi fi system here. Anyway I won't have 4 days of pages to read but sure missed
not have my morning read of news. Anybody know how to get those dates?
OR HOW TO THREAD MY FW ?

By the way I also bought a 99k can check yr yet __also a toy think it's Singer 20 model
but don't know . will see a book to check after next week.
love you all --hope I can get back to here for answers

Originally Posted by craftybear View Post
Do you have a Featherweight if so plese post here so you can all chit chat with each other. Have fun!

I am still looking for one! I sure hope I can find one this year.

Craftybear

Last edited by Mornigstar; 11-02-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear View Post
Do you have a Featherweight if so plese post here so you can all chit chat with each other. Have fun!

I am still looking for one! I sure hope I can find one this year.

Craftybear
Did you ever get a Featherweight? I love mine, bought off E-bay!
Old 11-02-2011, 12:40 PM

I have one got it at a pawn shop
Old 11-02-2011, 01:28 PM

I love my FW.. I have 3 of them... the first one, my favorite, my mom gave me years ane years ago.. I was happy to have it then, but didn't go wild over it.. (wish I had have given her that pleasure, but I didn't really know what I had in my hands at the time) Years after she was gone I began to use it quite regularily, and then I did find out what a wonderful little machine I had.. Then a few years ago a friend of mine was looking to 'get rid' of the junky machines her MIL had used.. Mil had passed away and the daughter in law didn't sew and didn't want the "junk" in her spare bedroom.. I paid $300 for the lot.. which included 2 complete FWs, a Bernina 1230, a Bernina surger, an embroidery machine with 20+ disks and lot of notions and other attachments and such.. When I got the junk home and actually looked at what I had, I took a lot more money to her and tried to give her more (she is my friend after all). She did not want more money, she just wanted the machines gone.. I told her she would sell them quite easily.. and I'd even help her do it.. but no.. she was happy, and needless to say I've been even happier than she was! What a deal.