Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm getting a "small" sewing room - need some tips! >

I'm getting a "small" sewing room - need some tips!

I'm getting a "small" sewing room - need some tips!

Old 11-02-2011, 03:54 AM

Organization! Organization! Organization!
Only bring items needed for sewing into the room. Leave all the cluttering do dads out.
Set up your stations for sewing, cutting, and ironing. Then work in your stash shelves/bins, lighting.
Have fun, its your space. :0)
Old 11-02-2011, 05:51 AM

Try garage and estate sale finds. My favorite find is a large Bakers Rack 75.00 added some baskets. The wine rack holds rolls of backing etc
Old 11-02-2011, 05:53 AM

I am so excited for you!!! Please post pictures of your new sewing room.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:55 AM

I say just jump in and then once you get the lay of the land then rearrange...Bigest thing is make sure everyone in the family knows it's YOUR space.
Enjoy
Old 11-02-2011, 06:08 AM

Congratulation I'm sure you will make the best use of your space. Like many have said use the vertical space, and don't forget a desine wall. Good Luck and have FUN.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:28 AM

Default Organization

My room is about 11 x 13 and I think organization is the key no matter what size your room is. I've got to be able to find things right away. Lots of shelves!

I recently posted a bunch of pictures of my quilt room on my blog that might give you some ideas.

My Quilt Room

My blog
Quilting by the River
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sewingroomfab.jpg
Views:	973
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	280717  
Old 11-02-2011, 06:49 AM

The thing I would change in my sewing room is the ironing board.....mine takes up soooooo much space, I would like one that folds up into the wall or like DogHouseMom suggested folds under the cutting table etc. You also might like a design board (I use mine all the time to view different layout of patterns/blocks etc. I can share your excitement and am happy for you.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:49 AM

Congratulations! I like the idea of a big board on top of a dresser-storage will be the key to utilizing your space to your best advantage. I have a couple of small pegboards, shelves and a hang on the wall ironing board-that can be closed up-but it is really small when you are wanting to press yardage or as your quilt grows. Have fun!
Old 11-02-2011, 10:04 AM

I am humbled by so many wonderful replies and suggestions! I feel like I have all my quilting friends encouraging me with their inputs! I thank each and every one of you! Truly, I do!

I do want to share with you an idea I found somewhere online browsing that might be of help to y'all. The suggestion was to use a shoe storage thingy that hangs on the back of a closet door to store small items. You know, the kind that has about 20-24 little pockets? I'm not sure that I will be able to use the idea, but thought some others might be able to.

The contractor is supposed to come this afternoon to look over the space. We are going to have him install shelving all the way around the top of the walls about 2' below the ceiling. That will be a good start, I think! I can hardly wait! I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about "my room!"

Thank you all again soooooo very much! I hope one day I can help someone as much as you all have helped me!
Old 11-02-2011, 10:21 AM

Think vertical. If you can get solidly attached shelves just above your sewing area, you are going to be much happier than sticking them all below your sewing table. Also, my sister has a shop light just above her sewing area - high enough not to hit her head but low enough to provide incredible illumination. This wouldn't work at my house because my cats would jump on it, but it may work for your area.