Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper Piecing >

Paper Piecing

Paper Piecing

Old 11-03-2011, 03:45 AM

I have found as in using Thangles, if you press the piece, which sets the stitches as well, and pinch the paper/material at the middle of the piece the paper comes off better.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:46 AM
tmg

I have never tried PP. It is on my to learn list.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by almostfree View Post
I am scared to try it....every time I look at the directions I get all confused! Guess I need to take a class, too.
The directions are confusing and a class will help you "see" it. Then you should be go to go. BTW, I have been buying drawing tablet paper from The Dollar Store to use for my PP. Tears easy and is lightweight.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:08 AM

yes i do like paper piecing and the best site i found for free patterns is quilterscache.com it has hundreds of patterns listed either by block size or in alphabetical order. Be prepared to run the printer while you are on there and have plenty of time to browse.......
Old 11-03-2011, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by mhansen6 View Post
I love the look of paper piecing but I HATE taking the paper off. Has anyone found a way to get the paper off easier? I do reduce my stitch length.
Use the right paper...thinnner the better
Small stitch...maybe 1 less than your default stitch if computerized
slightly larger needle
I sit and relax watching tv or visiting with someone. Fold paper at seam a little and rip. Quilters have sometimes applied a moist washrag over the seams to loosen the paper if it's being difficult. Don't get too wet.

Love paperpiecing for it's accuracy
Old 11-03-2011, 04:43 AM

For those of you who do paper piecing, there is a product I have used that you may be interested in. It is called Toni's Amazing Disappearing Paper and you can print your paper-pieced patterns on it, sew and then the paper dissolves in water and will not gumup your needles.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Linda B View Post
Judy Neimeyer is also a great paper-piecing pattern designer. Some of hers are pretty easy - others not so easy, but I love most of her patterns. Her web site is Quiltworx.com Good luck. Paper piecing produces some fantastic designs.
I am still trying to get the hang of PP, but I love the result so I am going to stick w/ the learning. Thanks for providing J. Neimeyer site.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by frarose View Post
I love the look of paper piecing but seem to have a little trouble with it at times. I dislike how it uses so much fabric or maybe I just don't know how to cut it correctly.
I always cut a strip the width I need to cover a section. To get the correct width, measure the widest part with the ruler's left edge on your seamline that you'll be sewing on for that piece to join the previous ones. Measure across to the widest part and add 5/8" for seam allow. After you sew on your line, press to set the stitches and press the seam allow. to the side, then fold paper on next seamline, then trim off previous strip giving your new seam allow. of 1/4". Doing it this way, you'll never discover you cut your fabric too small. Unless, you measured wrong for your width, in the first place.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:13 AM

i would love to learn how to convert blocks to paper pieceing...

Originally Posted by Delta View Post
GIRL. I love to paper piece and have actually taken patterns and made them into paper piecing.
Just google free paper piecing patterns, Carl Doaks has a bunch there are wondeful site. I usually
just search and equiltpatterns.com has a bunch as well.
good luck. I know you will do well. I just love pp
Dawn in Waco
Old 11-03-2011, 05:15 AM

I tooke my first class a few weeks ago, it is so much fun. I'm not ready to do anything yet.But ub the furture I will