Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are Some Online Fabric Store Shipping Fees Justified? >

Are Some Online Fabric Store Shipping Fees Justified?

Are Some Online Fabric Store Shipping Fees Justified?

Old 11-03-2011, 08:14 AM

Default Are Some Online Fabric Store Shipping Fees Justified?

First and foremost I realize it is my option to order or not to order from an online store.

Okay I was in search of the 'perfect' fabric and I finally found it. BUT, when I went to check out the price for shipping one yard of cotton fabric was $8.99! Making the fabric in essence nearly $20 a yard!!!!

I called the store and asked if they would consider mailing 1st class and they said flatly "No". The reason? They factored in insurance with their fee to cover loss should the Flat Rate Priority envelope not make it to its destination. Plus the cost of the envelope and cutting of the fabric??? i.e. handling fee, tracking service (BTW Flat Rate Priority envelopes rates are like $4.75 and tracking free, if they purchase online).

This is a LARGE site and they have been in business a LONG time...How with shipping fees like this????

Again, I realize it's my choice to pass this on by. I know they need to make a profit.... It just feels like they are subsidizing the $10.50 per yard fabric with over inflated shipping fees. I'm just opening a discussion on this.

Oh sigh... it would have been the 'perfect' fabric!

Last edited by Jim's Gem; 11-03-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: request by author of poster
Old 11-03-2011, 08:28 AM

Sometimes it really is not cost effective to shop on line ,particularly for one yard of fabric. I really dislike the circumstances you just encountered.
I typically end up buying 4 or more yards to get the cost of shipping per yard to a more reasonable amount. This means I have to "save up" my planned purchases via the shopping cart , and run the risk of the fabric being sold out.
There have been more than a few times a "must have" fabric has gone unpurchased because I can't stomach the final bill of almost $20.00 for a single yard.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:44 AM

$10.50 a yard????? THAT price is too high for mail order....unlesss you live in the boonies!! That's what my LQS charges for non-discount fabric. Try thousandsofbolts.com almost all fabric is under $5 a yard. Even Fabric.com would be cheaper. Thousands... has high shipping for small amounts, but the more you order the cost per yd. gets less. I would not order from the site you mentioned......a rip-off for sure.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:02 AM

Remind them that the envelopes are free. The post office will even deliver free envelopes to their place of business.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:08 AM

This is exactly why I don't do much on line shopping. I usually don't want/need/can't afford enough to make the shipping cost worth while. Oh well keeps me from spending to much. I do feel your pain wanting just the right item, finding it and then realize you can't have it.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:18 AM

I like to use burkfabrics.com or the oldcountrystore.com. Sometimes the shipping is free and other times they charge the actual cost. Prices are lower than a LQS and they call if there's a question. Straight from Lancaster, PA.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:23 AM

I shop sometimes at a place AAA quilters supply. They charge a flat rate and they say the approx yardage that can fit. When you order, if the postage ends up being cheaper, they refund it to you. Great place for online shopping. Not only that, there fabric prices are resonable and shipped quickly
Old 11-03-2011, 09:44 AM

The picture you used is from eQuilter.com - but when I place an order there for one yard, I am presented with many choices for shipping options - including UPS Ground or Priority Mail for $5.95.

This might confuse people into thinking that it's eQuilter.com that's doing this crazy shipping thing.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:48 AM

Sometimes the shipping does seem way out of line. What I don't like is when you have to go through putting all your information down and credit card before they will tell you the shipping price. That is something I want to know before I go to all that trouble. They could just ask for the city and state and give you an estimated shipping cost.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by kayahr View Post
Remind them that the envelopes are free. The post office will even deliver free envelopes to their place of business.
Yes, the envelope is "free"(if you provide your own envelope you may be able ship cheaper), but the people employed to address the envelope, cut the fabric, place it in the envelope, adjust the inventory numbers, generate the invoice, process the payment, etc. are probably not volunteers. The other tools they need to do their jobs are also not free. Nor does the free envelope pay the rent, electricity, and numerous taxes a for which business is responsible. Being in business is a lot more complicated than it seems on the surface. That does not mean some places do not overcharge, but competition should eventually weed out the rotten apples.
I cannot begin to tell you the number of times I have seen one thing I wanted at a web site, then changed me mind because of costs. I feel your pain. Can't you find something else to add to your order or encourage a friend to order with you?