Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Freezer paper and having way too much fun >

Freezer paper and having way too much fun

Freezer paper and having way too much fun

Old 11-05-2011, 05:36 AM

I like all these ideas, uummmmm, I will keep these in mind for future reference. THANKS.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:37 AM

Glad you are having fun!
Old 11-05-2011, 05:39 AM

please someone explain to me how you use freezer paper for applique
Old 11-05-2011, 05:42 AM

love freezer paper, you can make patterns, applique and use for temporary stabilizer.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:43 AM

Great idea Lisa! I never cared for the needle turn technique, but this would solve that for me!
Old 11-05-2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
I've been playing around with it also. I layer mine 3 sheets thick and iron them together, does anyone else do this?
I do if i'm going to be using the piece a few times.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:52 AM

JSNOMORE,
Do you do this with just one layer of freezer paper? Is this what others talk about and then say they use two or three layers? Thank you! I've been wanting to try this method and your instructions are very clear.
Originally Posted by JSNOMORE View Post
I layer 3 sheets together and press with the iron. this makes for a thicker sheet. Next I trace my design on to the flat (non shiny) side in reverse of how I want it to be. Next iron it to your fabric shiny side down. I then cut out my design 1/4" larger than the freezer paper. Next I use liquid starch and water and apply it to the edges and then fold them over the freezer paper and iron with my clover mini iron. This will set the edges so that when you remove the freezer paper your applique has finished edges that you just need to sew down. Also I don't pin my applique in place I use elmers glue. Just a tiny dot and then iron and it will stay in place. the glue washes right out when you are finished. Hope this helps
Old 11-05-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
great for quilting also.....cut out your shape like a sillouette and then stitch around it...use it over and over....by tracing around it on another piece of freezer paper (plain sides together) you can have a 'mirror image' of your original design
These are all such great ideas!
This one I have to try - hoping it will let me avoid using chalk or markers. The blue chalk seemed to color the thread on my last quilt, even after washing.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:15 AM

Some other ideas that I've messed about with:
- If the object is symetrical, after the object & attached freezer paper is cut out with a quarter inch seam allowance & the seams have been pressed under, you can remove the freezer paper and flip it over, repress the edges only, then apply it to the block pressing the whole thing. This will require a small slit in the back of the foundation fabric (block) to remove the paper. Or if it's a large applique, you can cut inside the design (on the back, of course ) so you don't have as many layers to quilt through--particularly helpful if you are hand quilting.
- if the applique is very intricate, it may be helpful to use the freezer paper that is removed as a pattern to cut a light weight fusible to tuck under the turned under seam allowance on the applique. Trim it to about 1/2" of the applique line. This will hold the seam under as well as attach it to the base fabric long enough to do the stitching.
- And then, there are always the fabric glue sticks. So helpful in many places and will wash out. I didn't realize Elmer's would wash out, then noticed there were two kinds in the craft store -- the one for kids was listed as washable. Live, quilt and learn!
Old 11-05-2011, 07:44 AM

Okay,I am a newbie. What do you use the freezer paper to do with applique