Expiration Date

Old 11-06-2011, 04:55 PM

I open it, if it looks and smells ok, then I use it. Most food pantrys won't take expired donations. Frustrating.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:19 PM

There are "sell by" dates and there are "use by' dates. Most food processing plants now use the "use by " date on a can since it is much more clear as to when it is good to be consumed. Many factors influence the use by date... the temperature that the goods where stored is the most critical. Canned goods stored exposed to temperature above 80 degrees for prolonged period of time will not "last" as long as those stored at a consistant temp below 75.
Another influence is the PH level of the products stored in the cans, as well as the actual metal content of the cans.
Typically going a few months past will not be a factor, if they have not had much exposure to high temps. A can that has been frozen should never be consumed.
There is the old saying "when in doubt .. throw it out".
Old 11-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

there is a difference between a sell by date and an 'eat by date' if it should not be eaten after a certain date it will say so- the dates you find on cans --many packaged foods are sell by dates- makes the stores rotate their stock--
as for the cake mixes- and foods like that- after some time they will get stale- and not work as well as when fresh---just like lots of stuff- it is better fresh- that doesn't mean it's harmful- it just might not raise as well- or be as flavorful- for (boxed) packaged foods it is best to use it- fairly soon after an experation date---the longer it sits the staler it will become.
and remember --- the dates on foods and the dates on MEDICATIONS are 2 different animals! if you have medication that has expired it may not have the benifits it once had- and you should check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking it.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post

and remember --- the dates on foods and the dates on MEDICATIONS are 2 different animals! if you have medication that has expired it may not have the benifits it once had- and you should check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking it.
So this would mean vitamins as well are not useful beyond the expiration date?
Old 11-06-2011, 07:04 PM

I work for a medical device/pharma company. For us, the expiration date is based on the period of time that we have data to provide evidence that the material is stable or sterile. Chemical change over time, please be aware of the dates on your medications and drug products (even cosmetics have dates, bacteria grows on/in open items).

Food dates are a little different, there are normally sell by and use by. If you have not used it by the use by, I might use it If it was being fully cooked and it smelled normal. When in doubt, toss it for your safety.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:36 PM

I've used out-dated canned goods as long as the cans aren't rusty, dented or bulging. Not long ago we decided to have tacos ------ UGH!!! They tasted awful! Looked at the pull-date on the taco shells ----- OMG they should have been dumped THREE years ago!!!!!! Generally, the pull dates on canned goods is just to tell you the food may be losing some of it's "excellant" quality.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:17 PM

Not sure if this is world wide or not but here in Australia we have 'use by' dates and 'best before' dates. 'Use by' means exactly that and 'best before' means that you can safely use the product for several days after that. I've sometimes used a product two weeks after the 'best before' date and it's been fine.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:38 AM

Yes. I have the same philosophy of "sniff it and see" - just so long as I don't "snuff it" I suppose...

(I often buy stuff that is past the" best before" date as it is generally reduced by about 50%)

Last edited by jitkaau; 11-07-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:31 AM

I might use canned goods that are a month beyond the expiration date. I don't think it's worth taking a chance. My son got salmonella from a creme donut he bought and was in the hospital 12 days. I also learned the use by dates on perishables (yogurt for ex.) are if the container has not been opened.Once it's opened it deterioirates faster.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:03 AM

I remember years ago reading about a stash of Crimean War (1850s) tinned meat that was found and someone tried it and said it was OK! (I don't think I would be that brave.)
I'm sure though that we are a lot more picky than people would have been years ago, when they had no use by dates to guide them -- most would have just looked at the can to decide if it was safe. My mother used to work for HJ Heinz as an office worker, and they were often sold damaged tins at a slight discount -- which makes me shudder now.