Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
As God is My Witness, I Will Never Use Monofilament Thread Again--Oh My Lanta!! >

As God is My Witness, I Will Never Use Monofilament Thread Again--Oh My Lanta!!

As God is My Witness, I Will Never Use Monofilament Thread Again--Oh My Lanta!!

Old 11-07-2011, 05:24 AM

I am surprised so many people have a hard time with the invisible thread and say they are never going to use it again. I have used it for years...either the YLI or Sew Art...it is a very fine nylon...about the thickness of a strand of hair...very soft, not poky. I have used it both for machine applique and for machine quilting. My biggest problem with it isn't the thread itself but something called the "Bernina Glitch"...every once in awhile...maybe a few times while quilting a quilt the stitch stops sewing...it doesn't break...and after a bit it does get going again...hard to explain unless you have a Bernina and have also experienced it...I just take those areas out and re-quilt them. But it is very minimal and doesn't really bother me.
Sometimes I like to use the invisible for applique, as I don't want any thread color showing. I will usually use a smaller zigzag and almost all the time use the smoke color as it blends in better. Smoke works best on all colors except pastels. The clear can be too shiny on any mid to darker colors.
I use a size 10 microtex sharp needle , and use a thread stand to hold the thread, not having it come right off my machine. If you don't have a thread stand, you can use a small jar to hold the thread, and tape a safety pin to the back of machine to thread the thread through before it goes through the threading of your machine. I only use the invisible thread in the top, and cotton thread in the bottom, and slightly loosen the tension.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:26 AM

when i use a monofiliament , I use something like the sulky monofiliament, because it is a poly based monofilamnet, not a nylon one. I do not use the monofilaments that are a nylyon based thread. I dont have any problems with the poly based monofilament threads.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:41 AM

Have not worked with mono. thread, but will those netting stockings for thread spools work?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:59 AM

I did some lap quilts for a local nursing home. Was NOT happy with it. Then used it on a landscape quilt. Very hard to free motion. I will use it if I have to but given the choice, NO.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:01 AM

I don't care for it. I would never use it on a baby or child item. A piece could come dislodged and wind around a small body part (finger, toe etc) and cut off circulation.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:06 AM

It is very hard to work with
Old 11-07-2011, 06:12 AM

To each their own, but I certainly do not like monofilament nor monopoly in my domestic machine and my quilting machine.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:12 AM

Default Tangled threads

I had similar problems of thread pools, particularly when I use embroidery thread.
I found that using a small hair band on the thread spool so that the thread has a bit of tension and can't fall off the spool has helped. I bought small hair bands at the dollar store - the ones that are a soft stretch, pastel colors. Be careful to find the ones that don't have the metal connector. (They also help with all those loose ends on spools not in use.)
Another remedy that I've used is to set a small beany baby on the thread at the leading end of the spool as the thread comes to the first thread guide. This also helps to control the natural pool of loose thread since it softens the jerking reaction of the thread going through the take up lever.
Either method has helped me to tame the problem of thread that falls off the spool and creating the pool.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
The way the monofilament is wound, it needs to stand upright. Either put it on a stand or - depending on what type of spool you have, put it in a jar behind the machine and run the thread over the uptake lever. That should take the wrapping problem away.
Don't know if I'll ever use it but if I do I will certainly remember this very helpful tip. Thank you
Old 11-07-2011, 06:34 AM

I've tried it with 3 of my machines. ALL have the same breakage problems.