Expiration Date

Old 11-07-2011, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

Eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2011, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Yes, should be good. We are even still in 2011.

Originally Posted by ragqueen03 View Post
ok i thought i had done a reply to this but i guess it didn't work. what are your thoughts on cake mixes. i have one that is out of date - august 2011. red velvet - one of my favorites!
Old 11-07-2011, 06:30 AM

When I was growing up we never had an expiration date on cans and some would be years old. My mother would can mincemeat and then we would eat it over the next 5 years. No one ever go sick or died from it. I think best bet is to open it and smell it then decide. About the only think I use expiration dates on are yeast and milk products.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:59 AM

I volunteer at a food bank and we check dates. Canned food is good 5 years beyond expiration date except for high acid foods such as tomato products or fruit, in this case they are good for 1 year byond expiration. Boxed foods are good 2 years beyond expiration. Salad dressings we only let them go 3 months beyond expiration. Hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:13 AM

I think it depends on how tight your food budget money is. If the can is not showing ANY signs of bacterial infection then use it. If the boxed food has probably lost some taste value then you need to add some flavor. You may need to change your receipes slightly to compensate for the over aged ingredients. The majority of the people on this planet wouldn't even think it is a problem to eat old food, but no one willingly eats bad food.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
expiration dates are simply the last date the store should sell the item... food/goods have a shelf life after the sell-by date. i heard on the news that dark chocolate lasts 2 years if wrapped in foil. I'm sure it's easy enough to google others
Okay, I just have to ask, is there anyone out there who really has chocolate that long (in my house, it doesnt' stand a chance of lasting that long!)? LOL
Old 11-07-2011, 12:31 PM

LOL! whereaminow has just posted what I was thinking: there is no way chocolate would last 2 years in my house!

Generally I use common sense rather than being overly concerned about sell by/use by/expiration dates.

Of course, it depends on what it is - I am *much* more careful with fresh meat (for example) than I am with canned goods.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem View Post
As others have said, the expiration dates are a guide line. I have all kinds of expired food around here. I only toss it if it looks bad or is a couple years beyond the date.
The dates are just a guide line...a suggestion...the manufactor has to put a date on everything, and some things are fine for up to a year beyond that date.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by ragqueen03 View Post
ok i thought i had done a reply to this but i guess it didn't work. what are your thoughts on cake mixes. i have one that is out of date - august 2011. red velvet - one of my favorites!
I'm sure this is just fine...if anything, it might not raise quite as much.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:20 PM

I came into a very large box of baking chocolate and have had it for several years, in my unheated basement, in the dark. Still good. I am making goodies as fast as I can!!

It slays me how the exp. date on your meds is magically 1 year EXACTLY from the date the scrip was filled. Who knows how long it was on the shelf at the pharmacy, but as soon as they fill it, BAM the clock starts ticking.

I take all this stuff with a large grain of salt. Which has no expiration date, as far as I know.